Question TV Buying Help For a gamer 43” or 49”

BobSpeed1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Had a 32” 1080p Sony for 10 years but I’m now looking for a new 4K set. I will be,

80% PS4 Pro Gaming
10% TV
10% Netflix and Movies

I’m looking at a 43” Q60 or 49” XG9005. I like the look for the Samsung but would prefer the extra features on the Sony. Both under £1000 so within budget. Could even look at a 49” Q70.

Only thing I’m worried about is the 49” being too big for my room. With it wall mounted I will only be sitting just over 5ft away. I’m worried that will be too close for gaming.

What’s your opinion on my choice of TV’s and on the size vs how close I will be sitting?

Thanks!

5ft is not too close enough for gaming at all. In fact its a good distance to sit from an even larger TV to get the biggest benefit from UHD. If you can fit a 55", even better.

Since you have a PS4 pro you need a TV that has good HDR reproduction, that means the Q60R shouldn't be considered.

Limited to 49" that means the two options are the Samsung Q70R or Sony XG9005. The Sony is technically the better spec TV as it comes with a 120hz panel, but the Samsung has better smart TV. The Sony has Dolby Vision HDR support for Netflix too, which you'll use if you decide to play a HDR title on there.

The ultimate gaming choice would be to go bigger though, the Q70R at 55" is superior spec to 49" with a 120hz panel and in turn this lets you use motion settings in game mode. The TV is also more future proof, with things like HDMI 2.1 adaptive sync available to use in the future.

Thanks for the details reply.

I can’t go bigger than 49”, even that size the right edge of the tv is going to be very close to the corner/wall.

I have looked at both the Q70 and XG9005 but both seem to be 60hz panels.I see you quoted the Sony as 120hz but I think that’s the bigger sizes.

Thanks

The Sony has a 120hz panel - it’s not available in bigger sizes.

Sony are the only manufacturer making TVs with 120hz VA type panels at smaller than 49" for a few years now.

LG do 120hz TVs at 49" but they are using IPS panels.

To be honest, if it’s mainly gaming then the panel frequency is irrelevant. The Sony has no features to take advantage of it in game mode.

To be honest, if it’s mainly gaming then the panel frequency is irrelevant. The Sony has no features to take advantage of it in game mode.
Yes, that is largely true. The only benefit you get gaming on the 120hz Sony compared to 60hz Samsung would be marginally better response time. It would mean you get a little less motion blur, but to most people gaming on a 60hz TV is fine.

Might be worthwhile for PS5 next year.

Thanks for the advice.

The Sony looks hopeful then. Still worried I’m sitting too close for 49”

No. Not worthwhile for PS5 - 55” Samsung and LG oleds are the only options if you’re looking at upgrading to that console.

Regarding your viewing distance, do not worry in the respect of noticing detail from a high quality source. You need to sit even close to get the full benefit of UHD.

Its more of what you are comfortable with, make a cardboard or paper cutout of the size of the TV and see how it looks.

Today 49" is small for a TV. 55" is the norm in the UK and 65" is quickly gaining ground. This is because there's next to no point having smaller TVs at UHD resolution.

No. Not worthwhile for PS5 - 55” Samsung and LG oleds are the only options if you’re looking at upgrading to that console.
Just been checking for ps5 options for Nano cell Lg TV's and the LG 55SM8500 has HDMI 2.1, unlike the 49 model or the 8600,8200 models. Within OP's budget floating around £770 at crampton & Moore with 5yr manufacturer warrenty for parts and labour, and has better sound 40w.

Just been checking for ps5 options for Nano cell Lg TV's and the LG 55SM8500 has HDMI 2.1, unlike the 49 model or the 8600,8200 models. Within OP's budget floating around £770 at crampton & Moore with 5yr manufacturer warrenty for parts and labour, and has better sound 40w.
How powerful the speakers are is not a good indication whether they sound good or not, and the LGs are very poor options if you want a TV with good HDR hardware.

They may have the bells and whistles of HDMI 2.1 but that's not really essential for gaming compared to TVs that can display HDR to a decent standard.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom