• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV buying advice for a gamer

Martynpd

Standard Member
Hi there, im intrested in buying a new TV.

i currently have a Sony KDL_32ex713

nice set good colours poor latency, games are practically unplayable with the lag in game mode. in sports mode not so bad due to the motionflow making it playable.

so i want to get rid of it and get something to replace it.

i used to have a 40w4000 sony braiva 2 which did well and i was very sad after i replaced it. This tv went into my perants hands and they wont let me buy it back so thats that out of the question

ok so new TV hard choice these days too many options and too many bias reviews on the offical websites

im looking for a 32- 42 inch TV no more than 1500 pounds and it needs to be a low response rate so i can play games.

any advice suggestions welcome.

3d or 2d
is 3d worth investing in now? passive becoming affordable?

help me please :smashin: thanks in advance

PlayStation

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
For non 3D the G30 and V20 is worth looking at to save a bit of cash. The V20 is better than the G30 but last years model so hard to get, on the plus side though they are very cheap. If going 3D the GT30 I'd say was as good as the V20 with the addition of a better design and 3D. We wait to see how better the VT30 is going to be.

Plasma has inherent low lag compared to LCD and has less xtalk with 3D, there is of course the Samsung and LG plasmas you may want to look at.

PlayStation

Sony KDL40EX403U excellent for gameing !!! No input lag lots of great features and cheap carnt go wrong

It has 40ms input lag and I can say plasma is a million times better. It's cheap for a reason.

If you want gaming, you have to go with plasma or a TV with lower input lag than 40ms.

http://www.*/news/sony-kdl32ex403-kdl32ex403u-20100418346.htm

Last edited:

Martynpd

Standard Member
bump time sorry, i hvae a max of about 1500 might be able to get more in a few weeks time

now the vt30 review is up, in terms of gaming which would you recommend me get, i can get the 42inch vt20 for 1200quid from currys,

is the vt30 any good for gaming, i dont really know what tv lag is my pc monitor is a 2ms TN panel. thanks in advance

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
bump time sorry, i hvae a max of about 1500 might be able to get more in a few weeks time

now the vt30 review is up, in terms of gaming which would you recommend me get, i can get the 42inch vt20 for 1200quid from currys,

is the vt30 any good for gaming, i dont really know what tv lag is my pc monitor is a 2ms TN panel. thanks in advance

Lag is the time it takes for the result of an input to be displayed on the screen and is in milliseconds.
Think phil got a figure of 22 for the 50"VT30, thats quite good, well under the 30 its said most people will notice. Think my V20s round 16-20 and I play a lot of FPS with no problems, gaming shd be great on the VT30. The bigger the set I believe the higher the lag(if any prose want to correct me on this please do) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom