• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TV buying advice for a 40/46" film/gaming set

PsychoMoFo

Standard Member
Hi, I've been tearing my hair out trying to choose a good TV so decided to ask!

I care about:

- 46" or 40"
- LCD or Plasma
- Half decent input lag for gaming (<40ms)
- Up to ~£1000
- Nice styling/design (I prefer like sony/samsung and LG, not keen on appearance of Panasonics)

I don't care about:

- 3D
- Internet gimmicks

TVs I'm considering:

LG LE468900
Samsung 46C580
Samsung 46C750
Samsung PS50C7000
Sony NX703
Sony 40EX703

If anyone has experience with any of the above sets or can recommend any alternatives I'd be very grateful.

I just can't seem to find a decent looking set with good picture and acceptable input lag (I play first person shooters). I realise there is not many 'lag-less' sets around, but if any fellow Xbox/Ps3 players can vouch one it would put my mind at rest.

Cheers!

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
Hi, I've been tearing my hair out trying to choose a good TV so decided to ask!

I care about:

- 46" or 40"
- LCD or Plasma
- Half decent input lag for gaming (<40ms)
- Up to ~£1000
- Nice styling/design (I prefer like sony/samsung and LG, not keen on appearance of Panasonics)

I don't care about:

- 3D
- Internet gimmicks

TVs I'm considering:

LG LE468900
Samsung 46C580
Samsung 46C750
Samsung PS50C7000
Sony NX703
Sony 40EX703

If anyone has experience with any of the above sets or can recommend any alternatives I'd be very grateful.

I just can't seem to find a decent looking set with good picture and acceptable input lag (I play first person shooters). I realise there is not many 'lag-less' sets around, but if any fellow Xbox/Ps3 players can vouch one it would put my mind at rest.

Cheers!

Hey, i'm looking for a new TV too for the same reasons as you. It seems most LCD tvs have high input lag mainly 35ms up and the Plasmas have low input lag (20ms or less)

I've tested the lag on my old Sony Bravia 32 tv and it comes out at 39ms so anything lower than this would be a bonus.

I like my Sony tvs but the latest ones have higher input lag than my Sony Tv. I'm not too bothered about Plasma tvs mainly because they seem to have more issues than I care about - the only thing I like about the Plasmas are the prices and low input lag but when you look at what owners are saying about rising blacks etc I'm not sure any more. Someone is gonna slater me for saying so. LCD tvs have their issues too but I feel the benefits of LCD tvs out weigh the issues.

The tv I'm looking at does get a few negative issues but the Sharp LE821 (LC-46LE821E) has a low input lag (10ms in gaming mode) and the picture, although hard to calibrate, is more than very good (I've seen one working). I'm off to play about with the settings on one of these tvs to see if I can get a picture i like.

Hope I've helped a little but I need help myself

Last edited:

PsychoMoFo

Standard Member
That LC-46LE821E seems pretty good! Having said that it didn't fair well in Digital Versus review

I think I'm settling on the Samsung 46C580 (~30/35ms lag). You can get them pretty cheap. Maybe I'll upgrade again in a few years when TV companies take gaming a bit more seriously!

;o)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom