TV/Audio set up - help needed!

Dorney1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some help with my TV/Audio set up.

Traditionally I have watched DVDs through my Philips sound bar (HDMI) but I have just recently bought a new LG 3DTV and a 3d Blu Ray player.

Now I've set it all up the new DVD player will be my main source for DVD's and is also HDMI. This means when playing DVD's through it I can no longer receive sound through the soundbar (as the TV will only use one HDMI source at a time).

So, How do I overcome this? The soundbar has a scart port (but the TV doesn't). Both the sound bar and TV have the audio in/out (red white black circles).

So, how do I get the sound bar to be used purely for sound for all media. My TV has 3 HDMI inputs (Xbox, 3dBlu Ray and Virgin) and I want to use the soundbar as the sole sound source for all 3.

Any help/suggestions/solutions greatly received and repayed with positive karma.

Cheers,

James

Hey,

It's an LG 47550T.

From what I can gather the only audio output on the TV is a digital optical output which my soundbar doesn't support (it's a few years older than the TV).

So, it seems my only option is to get a digital optical to 3.5 jack converter (which the soundbar supports as Audio In).

If anyone can shed any light - greatly appreciated.

James

Or use the TVs headphone output.

Does it definitely have one? (I can't seem to see one?).

Well if it's the 47LV550T you have page 121 of the user manual shows it does have one on the rear connection panel next to the component input sockets.

And if so do I just go jack to jack?

Yes, a 3.5mm Stereo jack to 3.5mm Stereo jack lead is all you need.

Hi Jaycee,

Just wanted to say thanks for your help - the jack to jack solution worked and probably saved me some £££'s as I was going to convert the digital optical to jack.

Doubt the sound quality is as good as digital to digital but it's WAY better than the standard speakers in the telly and I now have great sound across all devices.

Thanks for your help!

James

Glad to hear you got it sorted :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom