TV as PC monitor

crys

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Ok so the deal is that i am thinking of buying a TV that i want to use both as a PC monitor(gaming ,browsing, etc.) and as an entertainment device(movies, console games etc.) From my limited research on this topic it seems as though there are two solid options. Namely: LG OLED's ( the C9, C10 etc ) and Samsung QLED's (R80, R90 etc.). On the PC side i have a Strix ROG 1080 as a graphics card. The first question is ....do i need to upgrade the graphics card to a 2080 in order to do 120 Hz gaming on this setup (preferably also 4k)

What i know is that basically the best option for an nvidia card PC is to go with the LG OLEDs since they have explicit g-sync support. My worry with this however is even though it is a beautiful display that would be perfect for what i need it has the looming threat of burn in(i don't know if that is a threat anymore with the recent models). On the other side, the other option, QLED, would eliminate that worry however it only has free-sync support (as far as i know). I know that all of the TV's i have mentioned have VRR but i am not sure if for PC i need dedicated Gsync/Freesync support in order to play games and experience the 4k 120 Hz gaming.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated, thank you in advance

OLED Burn In Risk depends on your usage patterns, not only on the kind of content you use with the TV. Perhaps this thread helps you decide.

Regarding Gsync you need an LG OLED for it to work with your current card.

For VRR support (HDMI 2.1 standard) you need a card from AMD or Nvidia in the future that comes with HDMI 2.1 support. The 1080ti or 2080ti won't work with HDMI 2.1 VRR as they are HDMI v2 only.

OLED Burn In Risk depends on your usage patterns, not only on the kind of content you use with the TV. Perhaps this thread helps you decide.

Regarding Gsync you need an LG OLED for it to work with your current card.

For VRR support (HDMI 2.1 standard) you need a card from AMD or Nvidia in the future that comes with HDMI 2.1 support. The 1080ti or 2080ti won't work with HDMI 2.1 VRR as they are HDMI v2 only.
Thank you for your time, the link was helpful. I always thought OLED looked awesome so honestly i really would like it in my heart of hearts. The reason i was mainly worried was that sometimes i have the bad habit of leaving the PC on overnight when i take a "quick" nap that ends up finishing the next day. The screen eventually goes into sleep mode after an hour (i think) but i guess i can just adjust that so in case i forget it just shuts off the screen after a while.

Dont JL now give burn in under warranty? RE: screensavers the LG auto goes to screen saver mode and just configure your power settings on PC to enable screensaver after 10 mins inactivity

You can still set a screensaver, set the PC to go to sleep. Set the TV to turn off with no input. Set a constant sleep timer so the TV turns off after a certain amount of time. Lots of ways to reduce the risk.

If you are going to be using it as a main monitor though, you might be at too much risk. For HTPC/Gaming use I don't think you have to worry so much as you will for static websites/apps.

If you wait for 2020 models to be more reasonable in cost you can buy a TV like the Samsung Q80T or higher which has a single HDMI 2.1 port and then pair that with a future GPU also supporting the same HDMI 2.1 standard to achieve variable frame rate.

Supposedly the 2019 Samsung Q90R already supports it, but it doesn't have a HDMI 2.1 port so its up in the air whether it will actually work or not. Because it only runs HDMI 2.1 ports it also won't support high bandwidth signals at 4k when using a higher refresh rate, so also won't be as nice to use for games/PC use. Although plenty for video.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom