TV as PC monitor... color gamut question

panelGourmand

Novice Member
I want to buy either Samsung NU7000 or NU7400 and use it like big monitor for my Windows 10.

Yesterday I read something concering, I read that NU7400 is not as good in role of PC monitor becose it has much wider color gamut than NU7000 which makes the colors oversaturated becose PC games and websites are made for narrow sRGB color gamut and that when connected to PC, the color gamut controls get locked up.

Cant color gamut be controlled from PC with some software?
Does the higher NU8000 lock the gamut controls too when connected to PC?

Is this even that big of a deal? I dont need production grade highly accurate monitor, I just want to enjoy PC games, will it look bad if wide color gamut TV is used on narrow color gamut material? I never saw this "oversaturation" myself so I have no idea what it looks like.

Foster1984

Cant color gamut be controlled from PC with some software?

Yes, but only within the constraints of what the TV can show and what the software you are using supports. Most software based solutions aren't very good. But if you keep reading, you'll see it's a none issue anyway.

Does the higher NU8000 lock the gamut controls too when connected to PC?

Yes; but read below.

Is this even that big of a deal?

Nope, as you can actually change the source type within the TV.

So although the TV will auto detect the PC as a PC, you can go into the source menu and change it to something else, such as a games console or Blu-Ray player.

Once the TV doesn't think the source is a PC any more, the locked out picture settings are then available again and you can adjust them however you see fit.

will it look bad if wide color gamut TV is used on narrow color gamut material?

No, because if a TV can show a wider colour gamut than the source material is sending, then any colour the source material sends can be accurately represented by the TV.

Think of it like being asked to draw a picture that only needs 10 colours, but you have a pencil case filled with over 100 different colour pencils. You can easily draw the 10 colour picture. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom