TV around £1000 ish

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by TooMuchHassle, Oct 17, 2017.

1. TooMuchHassle

TooMuchHassle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looking a TV around £1000 ish. I had a walk around currys and to be honest I feel my eyes aren't that keen as I didn't notice too much difference between them within certain price brackets. I guess I was more wowed by the larger sizes apart from the Sony 9005, but this did have a more colourful video playing than the rest. I never really noticed better blacks or whites among the rest.

Current TV is a 50PK350. TV used for general family use. It will be used for the odd movie, football match, gaming for two hours where possible, streaming stuff. TV will be about 3m away and will need good viewing angles due to the length of room.

I've come across 10% discount codes which people say work for both Argos and Currys.

Code: TV10

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    First advice I can give is don't buy from Currys if you can help it, there after sales support is rubbish.

Second advice would be to only upgrade if you need too, there are still aspects of your current TV that will be better than models today.

The real reason to upgrade would be when you have upgraded sources to HDR as at 3m away you aren't really going to benefit much, if at all from UHD...even on a 75" model.

3. TooMuchHassle

TooMuchHassle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im moving house, sold my PC for £500, have a buyer at 120 for current TV so its a bit of a treat.

Can you name anything around 60-70 with viewing angles for up to around 1000-1300. Even lower if its a bargain.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    You aren't going to match your current TV for PQ with an LCD, especially if you need viewing angles and want good blacks and contrast.

This is even more the case because aspects of getting an UHD TV won't be an improvement through the upscaling of standard definition content compared to your current TV

You'll need to go for an OLED model to get both viewing angles, comparative motion blur and good contrast and blacks.

The improvements from modern TVs like the XE9005 are going to be when you couple them with a HDR source. At 3m away you are really not going to be seeing much of a difference between FHD and UHD even on a larger screen.

5. TooMuchHassle

TooMuchHassle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Quite gobsmacked. I thought most people would sit 2-3m away from the TV. I sort of already promised the TV I have to someone. So might I be best with a large Hisense?

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Most people do sit that distance yes, in fact for most people the recommended viewing distances with UHD is uncomfortably close.

It depends on your source and you might see benefits from an UHD source if it has higher bit rate and better quality compression but really its not going to be impressive until you view a lot closer.

Just have a search on here:

Question - Disappointed by 4K - is it just me?
    Anyone else disappointed with 4K UHD blu-rays

Well what kind of viewing angles do you need?

What is more important to you? 1. Better viewing angles at the side or 2. Better blacks and contrast performance and screen uniformity in the dark.

Its a question of whether you need a IPS panel or VA type panel. Do you do much viewing in the dark or always with the lights on/during the day?

7. TooMuchHassle

TooMuchHassle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Theres normally some sort of light on and viewing angles were only for if I had people over for football which is far between so it also doesn't matter. I would prefer android but again not important.

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Well, a TV like the Hisense 65N6800 will give you favourable picture quality in terms of blacks and contrast. It uses a VA type panel which is the main reason why it achieves this. TVs like the Hisense with VA panels also tend to have better screen uniformity, particularly in the dark as they have more control over how much light is let through from behind.

The downsides of a VA panel are viewing angles. To the side and beyond a 25-30° angle there will be a loss in picture quality at the side, especially in brightness.

So instead if you looked at an LCD with a IPS panel instead, for example the Philips 65PUS6162 you will get wider viewing angles, but lose out on things like deeper blacks and contrast. IPS panels also tend to have worse screen uniformity as they let more light from behind the panel...but with the lights on or during the daytime you likely aren't going to be notice these traits quite the same as you would watching in the dark.

If you would prefer android then the Philips would suit.

Both TVs use 60hz panels and they will not process motion as well as your current TV. I would really recommend you sample some football shown on a TV with a 60hz panel first so you don't get the TV home and are disappointed with the amount of blur and/or judder compared to your Plasma.

9. TooMuchHassle

TooMuchHassle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks very much for the comments. Much appreciated. I'll keep an eye out for a large LCD 1080-4K.

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    If there is an AV store near you like richer sounds, sevenoaks etc you can call them to arrange a demo.

If not see if you can sample some football in a store, it won't give you the best idea in a showroom but it should give you at least a good idea of what to expect from motion.

Common UHD TVs in stores that have 60hz panels will be Samsung's MU6 range such as MU6100, MU6400. Panasonic EX600 or EX700. Sony XE70 or XE80 series and anything LG beneath the SJ800v/SJ810v series. Any TV that is also a FHD model rather than UHD will use a 60hz panel.

Even better if you get the remote so you can have a play with the motion settings each TV has, of course you are more likely to get to do this in a demo rather than in a showroom.

11. TooMuchHassle

TooMuchHassle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Seen a panasonic 65ex600b which caught my eye at £1250 at currys.

12. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    I don't think that TV is any better than the Philips I mentioned, its also costs more. The Philips also has android TV whilst the Panasonic does not. I think I saw the Philips at argos.

If you want a more capable IPS TV you are looking at stepping up to a model like the LG 65SJ810v or SJ800v. Philips have some models too which will be a step up in quality for a higher price but they haven't reached the UK yet.

Currently though the SJ LGs seem very overpriced at 65", maybe they will drop in price more come black friday. Last years series did and its almost a month away.

13. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Guys,

Was wondering if you could provide some advice on a new TV.

I currently have a Panasonic GT60 42, great TV and has serviced me well over the years. However, I have been looking towards 4K recently.

Unfortunately, with the room, I can only stick to a 50" and cannot find any OLED Tv's around that size. I used TV for Netflix and playing the occasional game on Xbox. Viewing distances is around 3 meters.

Could you recommend a TV that will improve on current TV?

14. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Not really, you might see an improvement with the Sony 49XE9005 with a HDR source but at 3m from a 50" TV UHD benefits are going to be very negligible, if at all. There is also the fact that going from such a good TV to a modern TV can very much be two steps forward, one back.

Do you have any HDR sources? Will you be getting the One X? Might be worth it then.

There will be next to no improvement with SDR sources, so if you are mainly still watching SDR, there isn't really much of a point to upgrade.

15. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi I was thinking of getting a UHD player / Netflix 4K?

Mainly watching in a dark room, 3 meters. So if I was to try and accommodate a LG B7 would this be an improvement over current TV.

The Panasonic is still working well, would like a bigger screen!

16. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    Yes, there will be an improvement with the OLED and less steps backwards compared to an LCD against your current Plasma.

Can you demo one in the flesh?

If you get an UHD Blu-Ray disc player and HDR titles to go with it along with netflix hopefully having more HDR content it may be worth it...but at 3m you aren't really going to benefitting from the extra resolution. Only other aspects of PQ. HDR will be the main thing.

17. Lorchan

Lorchan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Thanks for the advice, regarding OLED what would you recommend? There is a richer sound around 60 miles from me so will call.

From viewing Tv's it seems OLED is on power with the GT60

Thanks

18. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    The stand out for value are the models from LG. B7 and C7. They are identical apart from design.

Other models from Sony and Panasonic are more expensive and whilst they have better image processing I don't think they are worth the extra. There is in fact aspects the LGs do better at a smaller price point.

Philips seem to have a good TV in the POS9002 but as usual their availability in the UK is poor.

LG B7/C7
    Panasonic EZ952
    Sony A1.