Tv ariel advice...

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Karen 2018, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Karen 2018

Karen 2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all. I'm a newbie. I have a concern over my tv ariel. My tv freeview hasn't worked for ages and I bought a new cable to go in wall socket but still nothing.

Today I had an ariel engineer come over who advised that my current tv ariel on roof was getting little to no signal. Even a new one was the same. He advised me yo get new ariel mask (which he did) and have a amplifier connected to it and the cable/lead will go straight through to the tv I'm using, with a booster at back of tv, not through the loft or the wall sockets. Basically the lead will run from the tv ariel on roof, across the rest of roof and then will go through the back wall to the lounge. Making the wall sockets none existent. Is this normal? I'm so used to getting new ariel mask and just connecting my tv's to the wall socket in previous house.

2. rodd1000

rodd1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Sounds pretty normal to me, most installers will go that route of running the cable down and into the desired room. Sometimes the socket in the wall can be old wiring and if the junction box at the other end isn’t easy to find then it’s the quickest and cheapest solution. I wouldn’t worry to much as long as they do a tidy job.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,406
    You've got an Ariel on your roof?
    ariel-nomad_6.jpg
    I reckon the bars on that are a bit too widely spaced to usefully pick up a TV signal.

Although I'm not sure what you mean by an Aerial Mask. The first time I assumed it was a typo for Mast - you were trying to mount the aerial higher - but then you repeated it saying you were used to getting new ones.

Also, if you've had the signal tested at the current aerial and a new one I'm not sure where the wiring is coming in. Surely you need to find a way to get a signal at the aerial before you worry about how it's distributed about the house? Either an aerial with a high gain for your local transmitter's frequencies or a better spot on your property for picking up the signal.

4. rodd1000

rodd1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Think you’re over complicating the question. The OP is just asking if it’s normal for an engineer to run cable down the house and in to a room, bypassing existing cabling.

5. Karen 2018

Karen 2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi yes that's right it was just if it's normal that an engineer runs a cable down the house into a room bypassing the existing cabling...think you summed my question up better than I did :)

6. Karen 2018

Karen 2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Rodd1000 that's put my mind at rest. It just seemed strange to do it that way but I know the house I'm in is old so chances are there's alot of old wiring and would've been too costly. It's been many years since I had a new ariel put in in my previous house and then I still had access to connecting tv's to the wall sockets but I did have good signal area there. Here I couldn't pick anything up!! At least i know its pretty standard now. Thank you again