1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV and Warranty

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mansell, Feb 1, 2003.

1. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Stupid question maybe but here goes

I've had a 10 month's old TV replaced for a new one by ED

The question is , does my 1 year manufacture's warranty start again from scratch from the time of the swap ?

or

would I still just have two months warranty left ?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If your set is repaired or replaced with an identical model, they would argue that the guarantee expires on the original date. Often you can get an extension in this circumstance as part of their customer service.
    However you have rights under the sale of goods act anyway up to 5 or 6 years, so if the repalcement goes wrong except in the case of fair wear and tear, they will still have to repair/replace or compensate you for loss of service life if it goes wrong, som don't worry about it.

Oh, and don't be tempted by the offers to sell you extended warranties that most companies now send out as the tv comes up to its first birthday. All you are doing if you take out one of these is pay a lot of money to avoid a bit of hassle in getting the dealer to do what he would have had to do anyway, under the sale of goods act.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This is simply not true.
    Similar misinformation is posted in the plasmas forum.
    Reference the European Consumer Goods Directive, the Department Of Trade and Industry has issued a factsheet detailing amendments contained within the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumer Regulations, which are due to come into force on March 31st, 2003.
    THE NEW LAW
    If a product that was faulty at the time of sale is returned to the retailer, the consumer is legally entitled to either a full refund, or a reasonable amount of compensation for up to six years from the date of the sale ( in Scotland, five years after discovery of the problem).
    This, the DTI points out, does not mean all goods have to last six years. It is the limit for making a claim in respect of a fault that was present at the time of sale.
    Alternatively, consumers can choose to request instead: a repair or replacement.
    The retailer can decline either of these if he can show that they are disproportionately costly in comparison with the alternative. However, any remedy must also be completed without significant inconvenience to the consumer.
    If neither repair nor replacement is realistically possible, consumers can request instead: a partial or full refund, depending on what is reasonable in the circumstances.
    It may be the case that a full refund is not the reasonable option because the consumer will have enjoyed some benefit from the goods before the problem appeared. This needs to be taken into account before a reasonable partial refund can be assessed.

I have never bought an extended warranty, I have no problem with posts stating they are an expensive rip-off ( do that myself :smoke: ), but it should be made clear, your purchase is definitely not covered for six years by consumer laws.

4. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ken,

I've read about this sale of goods act before and would imagine their would be a lot of hassle getting the retailer to do anything. Reading some of the posts on here a lot of retailers are difficult in replacing/repairing goods in the first 12 months let alone 5 years.

They should be aware of their liability under this act but I would guess most are not, you would probably need to hand the retailer some proof that they are liable for such a period. ie. show them a copy of the act and point out the clause.

Where would you obtain a copy of the sale of goods act?

Bam

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Panasonic warranty should run from the time your replacement is delivered to you i.e. 12 months.
    Any special terms applied by your dealer may expire on the anniversary of the original purchase date.
    I would check with Empire, but usually your television will be covered for a further year.

6. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks for that gringottsdirect

I will double check with ED

Regarding the extended warranties , I've already got one from ED with General and Domestic insurance

I took this out when I had my original panny and before I phoned them to ask for a replacement .

Some time later the insurance certificate came through the door and to my surprise the start date of this extended cover was not listed as the ORIGINAL date (JAN 02) of purchase + 1 year

but

it would seem from the time I phoned to ask for the replacement(OCT 02) + 1 year (if you follow me)

So I guess if you like the clock has been reset and I have 9 months left of the Manufacture's warranty plus in this case the extra 4 years I've paid for .