tv and phone cables damaged and cut

was thinking of getting virgin media after having a look outside the two cables one for phone and one for virgin have been cut off before they reach the grey box on the side of the house.

if i get virgin media will they install new cables from the path to my house as standard without extra charge or will i have to inform them so they can make special arrangements? and maybe charge me more?

WGLOVER

was thinking of getting virgin media after having a look outside the two cables one for phone and one for virgin have been cut off before they reach the grey box on the side of the house.

if i get virgin media will they install new cables from the path to my house as standard without extra charge or will i have to inform them so they can make special arrangements? and maybe charge me more?
They can quite easily splice a piece on, as they did with mine after a gardening accident.

rich tee

Advise them or you'll probably suffer the same fate as me, a single crewed van without outside cable onboard, a 2 week delay to get fully installed only for that to be delayed by 2 more weeks, if you have Sky or want freeview do that instead, VM suck.

WGLOVER

Advise them or you'll probably suffer the same fate as me, a single crewed van without outside cable onboard, a 2 week delay to get fully installed only for that to be delayed by 2 more weeks, if you have Sky or want freeview do that instead, VM suck.
When I reported my cut cable, a guy turned up next day.
Unfortunately he didn't have a clue what to do.
Another guy turned up the following day and fixed it with no problems.

Will be wise to advise them of the cable issue, though.
The guys doing the Tivo installation are not necessarily trained, or equipped, to play around with the outside cable.

Last edited:

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
A bit like those who originally layed the cable in the first place :D
Please see quote below in reply to the poster Rich Tee on another thread.

As I am having a major extension to my house I called VM out to completely re-route the cables from the street and entry points and terminations to my house. This was done by an installer. He came 2 days later as appointed. He did the job in less than 2 hours. I was actually without BB for about 45 mins. He also said that he wanted to bury part of the cable deeper but as he had a substitute smaller van that day he did not have the kit with him. He made appointment to return 2 days later which he did and re-buried part of cable.
This reflects the same service I got when I had my initial installation in I think 1998. Whilst I have my beefs about the new customers getting better deals than an old established customers, I cannot fault VM on the few times I have had to call them out for service/fault reasons. Always within appointed time (next day at latest for fault calls) - problems/upgrades always rapidly fixed/installed. Always ask if Iwould check system to see if it is OK before leaving premises. In this case he apologised quite profusely for not having been able to complete the job on his first visit but he had had to swap to a smaller van in a hurry as his normal van would not start.

Is there a postcode lottery operating perhaps?

Last edited:

Badger0-0

People who use this sort of expression are not worth listening to IMHO. Irrespective of VM it is very offensive.
I was going to post that $ky are just as bad, but thought better and didn't hit the submit button.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Please see quote below in reply to the poster Rich Tee on another thread.
I know people who did the ground work for the original cable network in my area. They were not trained cable engineers and were roofers by trade. They took on the job in between their commitments to roofing. I regularly sat in the pub with them of an evening listening to tales of how many water mains or electricity lines they'd had to pay to be repaired out of their bonuses or how many trees they'd killed by hacking through their roots with STIHL saws. I believe the subcontracting of people to carry out the cable laying was much the same throughout the UK? The cable network was not laid by highly skilled cable engineers and much of the work wasn't even carried out by people trained to dig holes! :D

If they ever want to remake the Black Stuff then they'd do worse than base it on the cable crews that laid the fibre optic network.

By the way, my Dyson sucks (but it's cyclonic).

Last edited:

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I know people who did the ground work for the original cable network in my area. They were not trained cable engineers and were roofers by trade. They took on the job in between their commitments to roofing. I regularly sat in the pub with them of an evening listening to tales of how many water mains or electricity lines they'd had to pay to be repaired out of their bonuses or how many trees they'd killed by hacking through their roots with STIHL saws. I believe the subcontracting of people to carry out the cable laying was much the same throughout the UK? The cable network was not laid by highly skilled cable engineers and much of the work wasn't even carried out by people trained to dig holes! :D

If they ever want to remake the Black Stuff then they'd do worse than base it on the cable crews that laid the fibre optic network.

By the way, my Dyson sucks (but it's cyclonic).
The cable network hereabouts was laid in August 1989. In hindsight they were quite efficient given the enormity of the task. However they did not enamour themselves of me or my neighbours as at that time many of us had kids of infant/junior school age ( on holiday!) who had no qualms about marching in to the house with muddy excavation detritus or latterly asphalt resurfacing debris.

However those kids were actually part of the reason I switched from BT to NTL in 1998. No BB then but NTL gave a better dial up speed down their dedicated phone line (Internet access was already becoming very important!).

Furthermore this was inclusive with the phone/TV package. Also driven by now teenage sports freaks I could add Sky Sports and Eurosport. A year later I added Premiership Plus (Sort of ESPN) for just £1 per month (£10 pcm on Sky even then!)

BTW I would not insult my Dyson by saying it sucks! Did you see those twisters in the US recently? I have it on good authority that they were caused by a Dyson that they forgot to switch off in a passing plane.....;)

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The cable network hereabouts was laid in August 1989. In hindsight they were quite efficient given the enormity of the task. However they did not enamour themselves of me or my neighbours as at that time many of us had kids of infant school age ( on holiday!) who had no qualms about marching in to the house with muddy excavation detritus or latterly asphalt resurfacing debris.

However those kids were actually part of the reason I switched from BT to NTL in 1998. No BB then but NTL gave a better dial up speed down their dedicated phone line (Internet access was already becoming very important!).

Furthermore this was inclusive with the phone/TV package. Also driven by now teenage sports freaks I could add sky Sports and Eurosport. A year later I added Premiership Plus (Sort of ESPN) for just £1 per month (£10 pcm on Sky even then!)

BTW I would not insult my Dyson by saying it sucks! Did you see those twisters in the US recently? I have it on good authority that they were caused by a Dyson that they forgot to switch off in a passing plane.....;)
Up here in the north we sold all our children to Cable and Wireless who put them to work laying fibre optic. The money we all earned helped pay for high visibilty covers for our SKY dishes. We sometimes hear tapping on the window, but we turn the lights out and pretend we aren't in. What is it will children, do they have some kind of homing instinct?

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
What is it will children, do they have some kind of homing instinct?
(Apologies to mods - we are getting off thread)

Yes they do ...

My "kids" ( 4 all male) range in age from 26-44. the 2 elder ones have both been back recently due to divorce and relationship/ lifestyle changes :rolleyes: the youngest who is still a sort of post grad student:confused: still thinks he lives here!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom