1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV and Marantz trouble

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hoppy30, Mar 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic TX-28DK2 surround sound TV and a Marantz SR4200 receiver. I want to use my external speakers and have connected the Front L and R out sockets on the TV to the TV in on the Marantz. However I cant get any sound through my external speakers. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Do you have to alter any settings on the TV? or the receiver, I have tried altering settings but to no avail!

Thanks

Dave

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You should be using the "audio out" phono sockets on the TV and not the extension speaker sockets as they use the TV amplifier

3. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian

Have connected to the TV 'audio out' using phono sockets. To the 'TV IN' on the Maranz receiver. I did not use the extension sockets on the TV. When i put the reciever in TV mode theres still no sound. The receiver does work and all speakers are connected properly to it. Any futher thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Cheers

David

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure if you're still getting your connections right here. The TV's audio outs are never on the front - these will be inputs. The audio line outs you need will be on the back of the TV. There be also be another set of audio in's on the back so double check to make sure you have the right ones.:)

5. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have my 4200 connected up using the audio outs and everything is fine.Do you get sound ok from another source,what shows up on the front panel when you select tv.

johnski

6. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Johnski

TV and small 'stereo and analogue' shows up on front panel. There is no sound at all from the TV. I have connected the audio out Front L and R to the TV IN on back of Marantz.

So far all I can get to work with the Marantz is the radio. Do I have to make any other alterations other than select TV on Marantz? I have a DVD player but no optical cable yet. Tried connecting that from audio R + L, to 'Marantz DVD IN' but still got nothing. So seems to be not just the TV. Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

7. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks groundy

Have used the audio out on back of TV to TV IN on Marantz. But can't get a peep from it. Any ideas. Did try same thing with DVD player, audio out on DVD to DVD IN on Marantz. Have no optical cable as yet. Still could not hear anything from Marantz. Only thing working is radio! Any ideas

cheers

Dave

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This isn't a explanation or solution but try hitting the S-Direct button on the remote as this bypasses other sound processing modes and should play the current input signal going to the amp.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    From memory the TV input is factory preset to digital which means that you won't hear anything as it should be analogue. Test by pressing the A/D button on the front and if that sorts your problem you can make it permanent through the on screen setup as per the manual.

10. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    hoppy,you seem to have got the connections right in the end,and this being the case then it should be working.You say that you are not getting any sound from your DVD connected through phono(display set to analogue)either,so assuming your speakers are connected properly then their must be a fault with the Marantz.I have the same model with my tv connected and it is simply a case of connecting a set of phono cables.Would recommend getting the Marantz checked out.

By the way,just out of interest,how many speakers do you have connected to the Marantz?

11. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Had a think about this and was wondering if i am the only one to find this very strange? Surely your No.1 reason for owning the Marantz SR4200 would be for to make a digital connection between it and your DVD player?

12. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure is Ron. That is the main reason. Have just bought the Marantz, have ordered the Optical cable, not received it as yet. In the mean time I wanted to get the TV to play Dolby ProLogic II, through my new speakers. So I could test them out. As I said have had no luck yet. Have tried above suggestions and still no luck. Does anyone know if you have to make any other changes apart from plugging oudio out on tv to tv in on marantz and switching to TV mode on the Marantz. Thanks

Will have to wait till I get Optical cable and watch DVDs in Dolby digital I guess. Though would like to get TV to use my expensive speakers Ive just bought!

Thanks guys

Dave

13. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ron, I have 5 speakers and subwoofer connected to Marantz,

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Try plugging audio outs on TV into a different input on amp. I would suggest using the CD inputs as a starter. This will show whether there is anything wrong with the analogue / digital switching on the amp inputs

15. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Ian

Have just tried CD inputs. Then the analgue/digital switching button. The display changes stating analgue or digital. But still not a peep from the speakers! Help!

:confused:

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have you got a VCR or Digibox that you can plug in to see whether it is the TV or amp that is causing the problem ?

17. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian

thanks for your help. As you suggested I plugged VCR into Marantz 'vcr in'. Its plays sound. Though extremely quietly,volume has to be moved up to almost full whack to get it to play at normal sound. Causing a mighty hum from the speakers!. I thought maybe mute was switched on, but its not. When I switched to the radio I almost had my eardrums blasted out!

Though does this mean anything? Least I got some sound coming from VCR, I got none with TV?

:eek: any more ideas

cheers ian

Dave

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Dave,

I'm stumped.

I'm at work at the moment but if no-one has had a brilliant idea by the time that I get home I will have a look at the manual to see if there is anything obvious that I am missing.

19. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

We had exactly the same problem getting sound from our TV. The only difference is that we have the 6200 with an On Screen Display.

I tested the TV audio out by plugging it into the AUX input on the front of the amp and got sound, but nothing when it was plugged into the TV in connection on the rear. When I tried to switch between DIGITAL and ANALOGUE input using the remote control, nothing changed. I discovered via the OSD that the 6200 input format was set to DIGITAL, when I changed it via the OSD to ANALOGUE I got sound out of it.

I realise that you do not have OSD with the 4200, but you may have an equivalent setup option.

I would suggest looking in the instruction book. But as we know, Marantz have gone for the 'get as many different languages in the book' option rather than actual useful information.

Dave

20. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    have you tried using the test tone sequence.would let us know if sound is ok without any source being selected.when its going through the sequence it displays on the frontpanel which speaker its testing and you can adjust the level.If this does not output sound then i would see about getting a replacement.
    I have the 4200 connected to a mission 72 cinema pack(no sub yet,(boo),so i can help duplicate things.my setup is

optical cable(dvd) - dvd
    phono pair(sky digital) - dss/vcr2...this was set to digital,so you need to change
    phono pair(vcr) - vcr1
    phono pair(tv audio out) - tv

johnski

21. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    johnski,
    I was wondering why you are using 3 sets of phono cables? I have a very similar set up and i only use 1 set of phono's from tv to Marantz,and get good results.Do you find any advantage in doing it this way?

22. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Johnski

Yes I have tried using the test tone sequence and the sound seems to be OK through all speakers. I bought some new phono leads just in case it was the lead at fault. The VCR now plays perfectly through the 'VCR IN' on the Marantz and sounds very good indeed. I have mission m7ds rear speakers too, there good are'nt they!

Still no sound at all from 'TV IN' on marantz. Despite using new cables.

I have emailed Marantz and been told by others in this forum I need to check the TV mode on the Marantz is analogue, or try switching the mode to 'TV Digi' (digital). At the moment I'm sure its set to analogue. Do you now how to switch it to 'TV Digi' ie digital setting. Have tried myself but cant do it!

The TV I have is a 4 month old Panasonic TX-28 DK2 Dolby Pro-Logic TV. I am starting to think that the TV is at fault as the VCR works through the Marantz. The instructions for the Panasonic say connect audio out phono sockets to amplifier and that is all. Is it likely the sound output from the TV would be digital??????

Thanks

Dave :mad:

23. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    No,audio output from tv would definitely be analogue.You have to manually assign digital inputs on the Marantz fom the set up menu.You can have a digital and an analogue input from the same source but they have to be carried by seperate cables.You do not have any digital cables connected,everything is analogue until you get the optical cable that you have ordered.

It's looking likely that there is a fault of some description with your receiver hoppy. Like i said before,i have the same Marantz model and all i have done as far as the tv is concerned is connect one set of phono cables from tv to Marantz and it works perfectly.
    If you bought it from a shop just take it back and get them to check it.

24. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried plugging the VCR into the TV inputs on the AMP?

If this works, then the AMP is fine.

Could be the output level on the TV? Can you adjust the output level in the sound setup menu?

Cheers

Laurel

25. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

Have connected VCR and works fine through TV IN socket on Marantz. So must be some problem with the TV itself. The audio out must not be working or need altering. I cant find any info on that in manual, will contact Panasonic. Its relief to know nothing is wrong with the Marantz. Did not want to send it back. They seem in high demand at moment and short supply. I see they just recently upped the price to £300.

Ever heard of having to alter or increase the audio out signal for a TV?

Thanks

:)

26. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sure.

My old Sony used the 'headphone' output level of all things.

I'm sure it's adjustable on my new Pana rear-pro.

I'll take a look tonight and let you know.

Cheers

Laurel

27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes - on my JVC you have to alter the TV out signal which is what I suggested in my PM this morning

28. hoppy30

hoppy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Ian

Am trying to do just that. Have checked manual doesnt mention altering audio outs. So have emailed Panasonic. There are 5 audio outs on back of TV as its a Pro-Logic version. Does this matter or make any difference?

cheers

Dave

29. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    Glad to hear it's not the 4200 :) ,now we need to fix the tv audio out.Had a look at the manual on the panasonic support website,and on page 40 there is a diagram showing a connection between front L & R to an external amp and mentions that the internal speakers can be turned off,does this drawing depict how you have it connected.

Ron240,
    Using TV audio passthrough was the first method i tried,but i did'nt like the sound from vcr or sky digital using this,sounded muted,flat and non-dynamic(if you know what i mean)

johnski

30. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    posted previous before i seen your thread over on the tv forum.

johnski