1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV and DVB on Sharp GD1E

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by singaporta, Apr 13, 2005.

1. singaporta

singaporta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody

Last week I finally received my new Sharp, so now I'm trying all the feature.
    I've connected PS2 NTSC with GT4 (the only HD game on the system) and both 720p and 1080i are amazing;Xbox PAL with RGB cable has not satisfied me completely (why MS consider European as cavemen who don't need component cable and progressive scan?); but the best is the Gamecube NTSC with component and progressive scan(480p), the PQ is amazing! I wonder the next gen of console with 720p native!!!
    Now I'm waiting to buy a media center for a DVI connection.
    But what completely surprised me is the bad quality of the TV and DVB, I mean it seems to watch a bad VCD. I've tried to use all the setting I had found around the forum but nothing better. Any suggestion? I hope something can be done, it's hard to admit that CRT are better for TV signal.
    thanks all
    ciao

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You could try turning down the Sharpness - no pun intended.

When I demoed this display I thought the DTV was terrible but I was only playing lipservice to it so did not play as I had run out of time. It was much worse than the Pioneer plasma beside it and whilst CRT's, especially smaller ones, generally are better at handling poor quality or compressed sources, the fact that the Pioneer was manking a better job would imply that there was some room for improvement on the GD1E.

-Ian

3. singaporta

singaporta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for reply
    I also think it's due to the poor quality of the TV signal, in fact if you have a 480p or above everything change! I've noticed that the setting with low sharpness, low back light, low luminosity. Unfortunatly i like very bright picture. Can't wait for HD TV.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    You could try using a separate Freeview source fed into an external scaler and thence into the screen's DVI input at the screen's native resolution - but that would be pretty expensive.

5. singaporta

singaporta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not bad solution, a scaler in the media center could work fine. I've already a separate Freeview.

6. ariomanus

ariomanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

about what GD1E model are you talking? I'm interested in the 45GD1E and I've got exatly the same question as you. My experience when looking at the TV in shops was, that normal TV and DVB through the AVC Box is not as good as with the Philips 9986 series. So I also had the idea of using an external scaler. But I had no change to see this combination somewhere.

I would be very interested in your experience with a scaler.

Regards
    Ariomanus

7. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its all to do with the panel the gd1 uses WXGA screen so pal signals tend to look a bit ropey hence the reason why they are bringing out the p50e range however it looks like their only goin upto 37" they are bringing out a gd7 which is the upgrade from the gd1 but it still uses the wxga panel

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Oh boy :rolleyes: this is going to get complex panny and sharp with model number cotaining P50 and E for flat TV's.........MADNESS, back to original poster does the internal FV and external box both look as bad?

9. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nearly as confusing as the HD thing eh !! HD or even the HDD thing HD :confused:

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    are you ready for HD ;) ;) ;) ?

11. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I presume you meant a Pansonic screen, not a Sharp. Sharp have announced the "7" range and there is a 65" model!

12. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you shouldnt pressume.
    i did the sharp not the panny

sharp models
    lc26p50e
    lc32p50e
    lc37p50

the gd7 range is a different product altogether its an up grade from gd1 series

13. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry I forgot about those weird beasts! I was thinking about the GA7E models, not the units with seperate AV box.

14. singaporta

singaporta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ariomanus

My model is 32GD1E. Right now the only solution I've found is reducing the brightnes so I see not big defect. I don't know how the signal is elaborated but it seems the tuner convert the tv signal into Mpeg vcd quality. it's really annoying. We can only wait for HDTV broadcasting. I think I won't try the scaler solution in the near future, has anybody else tried it?