1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV aerial VS DAB aerial

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by dread, Oct 27, 2005.

1. dread

dread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve just got myself a DAB radio, upon taking it out of the box I tried it out with the included wire aerial, it picked up nothing, so I thought I’d try it with the TV aerial on the roof… it worked. I’m getting a signal ranging from low to medium I would say, I’m getting continuous signal, but with some burbling about 50% of the time.

I’d like to improve on this, would putting a DAB aerial in the loft be a drastic improvement on the TV aerial on the roof?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Can I be cheeky and partly hijack the thread and add...

If a DAB aerial is needed to complement the TV aerial can it be multiplexed into the single downlead along with both TV and FM?

3. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    Hard to say .
    Your TV aerial is actually tuned for frequencies in Band IV and V , from roughly 470-850 MHz.
    Dab transmits in Band III , around 170-240 MHz.
    The correct antenna will be more efficient but putting it in the loft will lose some signal.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

4. Rezillo

Rezillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    For Ian the answer is yes, but make sure the combiner on the aerial and the outlet diplexer are specced for FM/DAB and UHF and not just FM and UHF.

When I added a DAB aerial to my home distribution setup, only one of my diplexers splitting the signal back at the room end passed the DAB signal on the FM leg - the others passed it on the TV leg presumably because they split the signal abruptly at the top of the standard FM range. One was an expensive fully screened MK wall outlet only a year old. Modern diplexers should pass DAB on the FM leg but it is worth checking their specs.

John

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks. Im looking at replacing my aerial downlead and will probably put in infrastructure for future DAB use. Glad I don't need another downlead.

6. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Similar thread here