1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Aerial Spur

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Nelviticus, May 26, 2005.

1. Nelviticus

Jun 21, 2003
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hello there I have a rooftop TV aerial with a cable running down the side of my 2-storey house and in through the wall on the ground floor. I'd like to run an extra stretch of cable around the side of the house to a room on the 2nd floor. What do I need to buy/do?

The chap who installed the aerial said that the signal was very strong and if I wanted another spur I wouldn't need any kind of booster. However I'm not the world's greatest electrician and when I tried to do a similar thing at another house a few years ago it was a disaster, I went from one cable with a good signal to two cables with bad signals.

Is it reasonably easy for an idiot to do or should I put my hand in my pocket and pay an installer?

2. hpoom

Jun 24, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I don't know what you should do. But I have the exact same issue myself.

I moved into my current house a few months ago, I have a 30+ year old aerial on the roof with cable running down the outside of the house to the lounge. I have a freeview box and get good reception ( except I don't get BBC1, BBC2, and BBC news 24 but I didn't get them in my old house 3 miles away ).

I want to get a new TV with built in freeview and was going to move the old freeview box to the second bedroom. The room currently uses a portable aerial and gets a snow picture on all channels.

Should I
    A. Split my current lead from the aerial
    B. Split and boost my current lead, using an UHF amplifier splitter box
    C. Put a second aerial on my current pole and feed that to the bedroom ( saves screwing up my current signal to the lounge )
    D. Do either A or B, but also get a new aerial ( as current one is old )

Thanks for any replys in advance, I have browser the forums but found very little help regarding the pros and cons of splitting an aerial.

Sorry I haven't helped Nelviticus, maybe we will both get a reply now ?