Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

TV Aerial Spur

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Nelviticus, May 26, 2005.

1. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hello there I have a rooftop TV aerial with a cable running down the side of my 2-storey house and in through the wall on the ground floor. I'd like to run an extra stretch of cable around the side of the house to a room on the 2nd floor. What do I need to buy/do?

The chap who installed the aerial said that the signal was very strong and if I wanted another spur I wouldn't need any kind of booster. However I'm not the world's greatest electrician and when I tried to do a similar thing at another house a few years ago it was a disaster, I went from one cable with a good signal to two cables with bad signals.

Is it reasonably easy for an idiot to do or should I put my hand in my pocket and pay an installer?

Regards

2. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I don't know what you should do. But I have the exact same issue myself.

I moved into my current house a few months ago, I have a 30+ year old aerial on the roof with cable running down the outside of the house to the lounge. I have a freeview box and get good reception ( except I don't get BBC1, BBC2, and BBC news 24 but I didn't get them in my old house 3 miles away ).

I want to get a new TV with built in freeview and was going to move the old freeview box to the second bedroom. The room currently uses a portable aerial and gets a snow picture on all channels.

Should I
    A. Split my current lead from the aerial
    B. Split and boost my current lead, using an UHF amplifier splitter box
    C. Put a second aerial on my current pole and feed that to the bedroom ( saves screwing up my current signal to the lounge )
    D. Do either A or B, but also get a new aerial ( as current one is old )

Thanks for any replys in advance, I have browser the forums but found very little help regarding the pros and cons of splitting an aerial.

Sorry I haven't helped Nelviticus, maybe we will both get a reply now ?