TV aerial socket modification

L

Loony Tunes

OK, strange question, I know.

I recently got a TV so I could watch DVD movies and play games on my playstation. I have no interest in watching TV. After doing much research I have found that I don't need a TV licence unless I actually watch TV. It's de-tuned and also has no aerial; however I would feel more comfortable if I could prove beyond doubt that I don't have the means to watch any programs. I'm thinking of filling the aerial socket with a little fast setting polyfiller. ( yes, I am aware this will invalidate my warrenty ). My question is this: Will filling the aerial socket with just a little polyfiller affect the tv in any other way other than making it impossible to plug the aerial into the socket?

Like I said, strange question. Thanks in advance :)

Loony Tunes said:
OK, strange question, I know.

I recently got a TV so I could watch DVD movies and play games on my playstation. I have no interest in watching TV. After doing much research I have found that I don't need a TV licence unless I actually watch TV. It's de-tuned and also has no aerial; however I would feel more comfortable if I could prove beyond doubt that I don't have the means to watch any programs. I'm thinking of filling the aerial socket with a little fast setting polyfiller. ( yes, I am aware this will invalidate my warrenty ). My question is this: Will filling the aerial socket with just a little polyfiller affect the tv in any other way other than making it impossible to plug the aerial into the socket?

Like I said, strange question. Thanks in advance :)

Just make sure it's not too wet when you pour it in as the aerial socket on most modern sets is built in to/part of the tuner unlike years ago when they had a separate aerial socket.
If any water leaks in it will corrode the tuner but should not in theory affect the set in any other way.

If your set has a scart socket I suppose the TV licensing people could argue that you still had the means to watch TV via a VCR or DVDR connected by scart lead.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I'm gonna go ahead and use polyfiller :)

My tv does have a scart and it's connected to my playstation ( acting as my dvd player too ) They could argue that, but just as long as I don't have any pre-recorded tv programs it should be fine. I don't even own a DVD burner.

I think you will find that you will still need a license, try phoning the tv licensing people. As jaycee says you still can receive signals from a set top box. so your tv is still capable of receiving signals. I think you need a license even for a vcr if its connected to a pc monitor, and receiving signals. I wouldnt make any modifications to the tv though not just yet.

No, I don't think so :)

The fact is that I don't have a set up box. They are welcome to come in and search my place if they want to. I don't even own an aerial.

Just as long as I can prove that I am not viewing TV then I shouldn't have to have a tv licence.

Have a look here the modification is only to be extra sure.

Why not just remove the tv tuner from the tv,but you will have to make sure nothing else in the house will receive a tv signal ,video,freeveiw,internet etc.

Loony Tunes said:
After doing much research I have found that I don't need a TV licence unless I actually watch TV.

Could the results of this research be made available to others so we may all be in a position to benifit?

sbowler said:
I think you will find that you will still need a license
Nope, this is from the official TV Licensing site.

Loony Tunes said:
just as long as I don't have any pre-recorded tv programs it should be fine
Do you need a license to watch stuff recorded off TV?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom