TV aerial Screened wall plate vs. F connector.

raj123456

Novice Member
Hi there,
This my first post. Apologies if this has been asked before or a wrong section of the forum

I have recently renovated my living room and ran a coaxial cable from the outside of the property where there was an original aerial splitter to the inside of the room. Everything works but I’ve noticed there is a some loss of signal.

I have put up a screened faceplate tv called “TV coaxial outlet Euro module” then I can plug a small aerial lead from there to the back of the TV.
However I was wondering is it better to just put a f-connector on the coaxial and stick a brush entry/exit faceplate on?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes to your last paragraph but if you’re plugging in a terrestrial aerial you'll need a coax plug at the TV end of the coax cable, not an F-connector.
Aerial sockets on UK TV's are coax sockets, F-plugs are used for satellite TV...since you’ve used the term “TV aerial” I presume you mean Freeview?

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Properly done (terminated cables) there should be very little in it. The fly-lead cable may be poor quality? Consider a better fly lead? Cable connectors and leads - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials (See the fly leads section).
Check for correct assembly and stray whiskers of outer near/touching the centre core?

Rarely, some cables incoming will not readily suit F-plugs (screw on or compression/crimp) due to dimensions.

F-plugs are a more modern and better RF connector than the old Belling Lee plug used in the UK for UHF TV (and VHF 405 line before that). In fact it was originally designed for AM radio use! Belling-Lee connector - Wikipedia

A TV coax cable socket could be used to join to a good quality fly lead, or a plug and double-ender joiner.

Although every join introduces a small 'insertion/termination loss' these are insignificant in the grand scheme of gain-loss calculations for RF signals... and if they cause issues it points to a bigger problem overall (like the 4dB, or 6dB, loss introduced by that external 2-way passive aerial splitter)?

Gavtech

Administrator
... Everything works but I’ve noticed there is a some loss of signal.

If everything works, there is no need for concern.

Provided you can receive all the channels available, the signal level is not important.

raj123456

Novice Member
It’s probably better to elaborate on the whole situation - this may take awhile and pose a series of questions but this is my first time doing this so I’m hoping to gain some knowledge from speaking about my experiences.
This is related to TV ie terrestrial and freeview tv which I am able to get in the house using a TV aerial.

Basically originally outside the property at the point of entry into the front and back room there was an aerial splitter something like the one below:
https://www.triax.uk/products/taps-splitters/silver-splitters/scs-2-2-way-splitter feeding two coax cables into these rooms.

We’ve renovated the house and I needed to re-run the coax cable to mount the tv on the wall so I decided to use webro wf100 and I also changed the aerial splitter to one which has a weatherproof casing I used the one below:

I’ve nearly finished the room off and I terminated the coax into a screened TV aerial socket and I thought I’d test the signal by plugging in a spare old TV that I had. I checked all the channels (including freeview channel). I realised I was getting very unstable signal with only BBC channels working properly and I didn’t know if it was due to the old TV or the signal or just poor termination at each connection point.

I then decided to buy this to check each cable point:
This was great and helped me find out where the signal was dropping.

I realised that it was because the splitter I used and I don’t know whether it was because the new splitter which was a masthead splitter and so it is only appropriate to split closet to the aerial masthead before the signal is split or the difference in frequency range? (0-2500MHz vs. 470-862 MHz Or just a crap splitter.

Anyway I have now used the original splitter (without a weatherproof casing which I need to solve).

Now the signal is OK, I haven’t checked every single channel but definite better the Freeview channels are there the picture quality could be better. So using the tv/satellite finder I’ve realised there is some loss in signal.
I appreciate there is going to be attenuation at each connection point but I was thinking is there value in terminating the coax coming which I have ran to the back of the TV in just an f connector instead of the screened TV aerial wallplate.
I’ve heard f connections are good because they are fully screened? Then I can connect that cable to a cable with an appropriate adapter on the end of it for it to be fit for use.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom