TV aerial > RCA > TV aerial

Davygee

Standard Member
Okay, this may sound bizarre, but stick with me.

I have a TV aerial socket on one side of the room and my AV receiver and YouView box on the other side of the room. My room has been hard wired (under the flooring) for surround sound and there is a 5.1 box on each wall at opposite sides of the room.

To save me running a TV aerial over the flooring from the TV aerial socket to the back of the Youview box on the other side, can I use the RCA (Subwoofer connection) on the 5.1 wall socket to transmit the aerial signal under the floor to the other 5.1 wall socket, then out again to a TV aerial cable into the back of the YouView box?

In short, is there a connector for a TV aerial to RCA for one side and then a RCA to TV aerial connector for the other side?

mike7

Distinguished Member
To my knowledge there is no such thing as a RCA/TV aerial connector device. This may work for you but audio co-ax is not designed for RF transmission. The downside is that the screening may not be adequate and you will leave yourself wide open to electrical interference problems causing your reception to pixilate from time to time.

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Absolutely no harm in trying it... but the losses at 400 to 600 million Hertz will be significant... (audio is around 20 Hertz to 20 thousand Hertz). Screening is perhaps less of an issue as most decent quality audio cables are pretty-well screened, but the low output level will probably mean the receiver won't work on the end of it.

You will have to bodge make your own adapter leads from TV to RCA and back, or get someone to make them up for you...

These 2 x F type Female Plug to RCA Phono Male Plug Adapter Connectors | eBay plus these 5 x RF COAXIAL CONVERTER - F MALE PLUG TO TV (RF) AERIAL FEMALE SOCKET ADAPTER | eBay may allow you to do it (but beware the weight of adapters and cables on the wall-plate-connection causing damage).

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
No you don't. Buy them here.

Well I'm gob-smacked! Never thought they would exist so I never searched for them!

Mind you, thinking back, the BBC Model B used an RCA socket for the UHF PAL modulator output as did quite a few similar games machines of that era - usually connected into the aerial chain via a switch box / adapter lead. < old age / waning powers / forgetfulness / stupidity > is my excuse ;)

mike7

Distinguished Member

Well I'm gob-smacked! Never thought they would exist so I never searched for them!

Mind you, thinking back, the BBC Model B used an RCA socket for the UHF PAL modulator output as did quite a few similar games machines of that era - usually connected into the aerial chain via a switch box / adapter lead. < old age / waning powers / forgetfulness / stupidity > is my excuse ;)
Don't worry, if you can still remember what a BBC Model B was then there is nothing much wrong with your memory.☺

MarkE19

Well I've seen composite video to HDMI cables on eBay, so just because they exist does not mean they will work :rolleyes:

The RCA > Belling Lee adapter may work but as said the losses involved could well render it useless.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom