TV Aerial Problem - Help !

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by peakey, Nov 26, 2010.

1. peakey

peakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    All,

I am having a real problem with the TV aerial setup at my house and hope someone can help.

I have 6 aerial sockets in my house and have an SLx6 amplifier in one of my bedrooms. I am pretty sure that the main aerial cable comes into the house and directly into the living room (as there is an in & out socket) and this then goes into the bedroom to feed the amplifier and onto the rest of the rooms. This makes sense as if i dont complete the loop in the living room (i dont actually use Analogue in the living room so i just have a lead plugged into both in and out sockets) i cant get a signal anywhere.

When the living room sockets are occupied i can plug the black lead in my bedroom (all the others are brown so i assume this is the main wire from the living room) into the UHF in on the SLx6 and then no matter which of the brown wires i put in i always get a nice picture in that bedrooms TV and in the other room upstairs. However no matter what i do i cant get a picture in any of the TV's downstairs !

I am totally confused by this and wondered if anyone could shed any light on this, I am assuming that there is some kind of looping or chain system going on here but i cant work it out.

If anyone has any ideas then let me know !

Cheers

2. AVmadness

AVmadness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi there by the sounds of it you have a main aerial outside which runs into your living room (identify this by pluging an aerial directly into the socket and tuning it in). The reason you have a loop in and out in your living room and up to your aerial amp is so you can include a sky box in your aerial distribution system. So you basically wanna go from your outside aerial to the back of your sky's "rf" input, then a cable from "rf1" out up to your living room tv, and a second cable out of the "rf2" output of your sky box and off upstairs to your bedroom to be plugged into your aerial amps "uhf" input. Each tv in your home is then plugged into the TV1-6 outputs on your SLx6.

The 2nd RF output on the back of a sky box carries a 9v signal to power sky magic eyes which will allow you to use a sky remote controls in any room thats connected to your SLx6 amp. Depending on how strong of a signal your aerial is getting you may want to place a variable attenuator on the aerial input of the sky box, making the signal slightly weaker before it enters the sky box is sometimes needed as the sky box will boast the signal slightly and then the aerial amplifier upstairs will....so you can end up with to much.

If your system doesn't work in certain rooms after wiring as I've said above you will need to start identifying cables as there might be a 2nd amplifier within your home your not even aware of. I would walk around your home and count up all the coax outlet plates there are and then you will know that there are more output plates than there are cables.

Hope some of that helps...allot properably didn't make sense it's been a long day and it's so cold out there I can still hardly feel my fingers....working on a saturday should be against the law!! lol

3. cjwood555

cjwood555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
  4. peakey

peakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks guys.

AVMadness: Thanks for the notes however what i am trying to do is find out how my cabling works as I want to find out why i am not getting TV downstairs, the signal is fine and i get a signal in the 2 upstairs rooms but nothing downstairs. With that strange scenario where all 6 cables turn the TV's upstairs on i need to know how its wired up as it all seems very odd !

cjwood555: Thanks for that, i think i will get one and see how it goes.

Cheers