1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tv Aerial Installation Advice/Distribution

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by meansizzler, Sep 3, 2005.

1. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Ok, so I want a TV aerial installed which can supply a feed to Six Freeview Box's, here is the equimpment I think I need, apart from cables/mounting poles

TV Aerial
    Amplifier
    Six way Signal distribution box which can supply power to the amplifier..

Is that right?, also anyone recommend any decent equipment, I was thinkin of

Televes DAT-75
    Margin Raising Device (MRD) Amplifier
    Fringe Six Way Distribution Amplifier

Would it be better to have a Masthead Amplfier instead of the MRD, or should I have both...

Also are there any installers in London who can install the equipment if I supply it..

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have sky/video and tv signals distributed throughout the house from one down lead and the sky/video in the lounge. I just used a distribution amplifier to send the signal to each of the tv's in the house via coax. I would assume that you can do the same by amplifying the signal before it gets to each of the freeeview boxes. You can't do this with sky as the signal being received is set at the dish. Can't comment on any of the kit you have identified, however try B&Q as they do a very good range of ariels and amplifiers.

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Not the answer I was looking for, anyone else..

4. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    wouldn't bother with the MRD, a masthead will only be a couple of quid more (and you have the power in the amp either way) and there is absolutely no doubt that it will work better - simply the best place to amplify any signal is at source, where it is strongest and you are not just amplifying interference

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Thanks, so is there anyone I can find in the london area who will install it with the parts I want..., I want it all in the same room...

6. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Surely, if you are getting a professional to install this system they will have a very good idea as to what you need.
    Without knowing the strength of your signal, who can say what you need.

Nigel

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Better to let the aerial installer decide on what you need, and to supply it, because they buy it wholesale and make a small profit. If you supply the stuff, the chances are that the installer will bump up his price because he's not made anything on the sale of the aerial gear.

8. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Yes but they charge £400+ for the install and use a cheap £20 Triaxx arial, total cost of the equipment to them is around £120, but I can get all top of the range equipment for £180, and I doubt they will use that kind of stuff, would you want to pay £400 for an install with cheap equipment, I don't have £400 to spend, I can prolly stretch £100 for the install if I supply the equipment, does that not seem reasonable?, trouble is where do I find someone to do it, is there anyone in this forum who lives in the London area and has the experience?, i'd do it myself but I don't have the signal strenth test meter, and it cost around £300...

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you have answered your own question!

You want someone to come along who has shelled out 15k on a van, spent over 2k on tools and equipment, runs a business with all the overheads, and fit your aerial and equipment for £100? Now do you think that is reasonable?

Why not do it yourself and risk your life climbing around your roof?

10. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    MEAN, so I get charged £250+ plus just cause some dude might die?, he knows the risks and not fairto charge us for it, I risk my life now and again, but I don't go charging anybody for it, at the end of the day it's his decision to go out on the roof, sure i'll got out myself, if you lend me the £300 Strength meter, otherwise, go mind your own business...much rather do it myslef if I had the right tools, can do a cleaner installation...what's wrong with £100?, all I want is the aerial chimney bracket installed and the aerial screwed on and aligned, i'll install the amplifier myself and run all the cabling..
    I don't mind goign on the roof...

11. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You posted on a forum so im telling you what i think, people run a business to make a profit.If you dont value your life i fell sorry for you.

12. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Why shold you feel sorry for me, I don't Like you...and oyu still never told me where I can find an installer...

13. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You wont need a strength meter for freeview. Simply point the aerial in the same direction as everyone else and use the green bars on the freeview boxes as your guide. Have someone on the inside tell you when the greenbars are at the strongest and secure. Thats how I did it and it works.

14. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    Have you tried "Yellow Pages" and phoned around for a quote.

15. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Thanks, I thought about that, as I know which direction others point there's into, and i'm using a PC so no green bars to tell me the strength, I think I'm up to installing it myself, but is it true the higher the aerial better the signal?, I have a balcony I can walk on and can install the aerial so it's just higher the highest part of the roof, but it is not higher than the chimney, prolley a meter under, does it matter?...

16. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    OK after phoning 10 places finally got a responce, £100 I supply the aerial...., or £150 they supply it "Televes 8044 X43", so they make £20 on the aerial, but they can order the Arial I want the Televes DAT-75, and they will prolly make £20 on that, so I might just do that..only £20....i'll just test their setup and see if i'm happy with that, once they do the install i'll just rip out the TV Wall Socket and install a masthead amplifier on the outside wall and a Six way Distributor on the inside...should be 7m length of cable between the amplifier and aerial, is that OK?, if not i'll get them to do it....

I don't think there CAI registered though?, will a CAI registered installer cover the cost to any damages to the roof?...

17. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Glad to see you aren't being had, you could have had a scaffold put up to do it off and still had enough left to buy it for £400!!!!
    It doesn't really matter if they are CAI registered or not as far as damaging your property is concerned, they are still running a business that requires public liability insurance and compliance with the sale of goods and services act!!!
    Get them to install the masthead amp - it goes on the mast.... then they can run you a cable for you to get started from.

18. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Thanks for the Info dude, appreciated, forgot about that sales of act good, and the insurance, I might just go and check out their shop to see if it's all up to scratch, but are they not suppose to test it before they leave?, I don't want it tested..as I only have a PC and it takes forever to scan for channels....

19. ED_UK

ED_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to add this to the original thread but seemed the logical place to ask. Could anyone help me with some technical information?

I am wanting to improve my DTT reception as I currently receive a low strength signal which gives a reasonable picture on MUX1, MUXB, MUXC and MUXD but MUX2 and MUXA are very poor. From various internet postings, I think this is down to QAM64 being the transmission mode on MUX2 and MUXA. As well as improving my signal I would like to split the downlead in my loft, to distribute to different rooms in the house. I was thinking about installing a Masthead Amp and a Distribution Amp.

I am using an old 'On Digital' Nokia STB, donated by a friend. I have already installed an Antiference XG16 aerial(Group B - my transmitter is Emley Moor, 20 miles away) - Wolfbane suggests I use an Amplified extra high gain antenna.

There seems to be general praise around for Antiference gear and so I've looked at...
    Masthead Amp - UP25 Series (about £15 from CPC).
    Distribution Amp - A200 Series, probably the A261LR (about £30 from CPC)
    I will also look to put in some CT100(or equiv) cable, at least at the masthead.

So, in summary and as a complete novice, what I'm asking is, does this sound a sensible solution/is there anything better out there/am I wasting my money? Any advice will be much appreciated.

20. clam

clam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Meansizzler,

have you seen a DAT-75 in the flesh? The reason that I ask is that I have one of these,
    OHH MY GOD....HOW BIG IS IT ???? :eek:

Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant aerial, we are right on the edge of the Freeview area and infact are not supposed to be able to get it but the DAT-75 reception is great. But oh boy it's one huge son of a b. We have a fairly large 3 storey house and it even looks big on that, it looks like we've stolen it from NASA to guide the shuttle in.

Just thought I'd let you know, incase you're in some quaint conservation area or something.

clam.