Tv aerial freeview

hpwarrior

Novice Member
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could help.

I’ve moved into a new place and am trying to figure out what cable I should buy to connect my tv to the satellite dish for freeview.

After hunting around I found what I think are the connections feeding into the living room (please see picture).

1) I’m slightly confused why there are two male coaxials (is that right)?

2) What cable/connectors would I need to connect my tv using it’s antenna in port?

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 9AA8A663-BE26-44BA-AECB-25B8DED7FD37.jpeg
    9AA8A663-BE26-44BA-AECB-25B8DED7FD37.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 38

vickster

Distinguished Member
Need an aerial for Freeview, not a Satellite dish (unless you mean Freesat and have a capable TV or PVR)?
Or confusing an aerial on roof with a satellite dish? Which do you have ?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Those are typically the connectors used for satellite cables in the UK, often called F-type.

So it's worth trying to work out where they go to make sure they're actually connected to a terrestrial aerial. If they're connected to a satellite dish then it's unlikely to be picking up terrestrial signals and connecting it to your TV's terrestrial aerial port won't do anything.

hpwarrior

Novice Member
The layout of the flat makes it really hard to see where the cables go.

there is a tv aerial on top of the flat (more than one so pretty confident one is for where I live), and a satellite dish on the side of the flat. Unsure who that belongs to or whether it’s connected anymore.

surely I can try out plugging something into the tv to see if it’s able to tune in any channels? My main question would be is it possible that I need the two to go into one with some sort of adaptor, or just one of the F-types?

mikej

As mentioned above, it's likely that the f-plugs are for a satellite connection - if your TV has a satellite / Freesat tuner, then you might be able to pick up the Freesat channels.

If not, but you wanted to try either one in your TV's antenna (Freeview) coax socket on the off-chance someone has used f-plugs instead of the usual coax plugs, then you can get adaptors like this, presuming that your cables can be pulled out from the wall ? Alternatively, you could swap the f-plugs for coax plugs. My money is on them being connected to the satellite dish though !

Are you sure there isn't a TV aerial outlet or coax cable tucked away elsewhere in the room ?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
surely I can try out plugging something into the tv to see if it’s able to tune in any channels? My main question would be is it possible that I need the two to go into one with some sort of adaptor, or just one of the F-types?

Just one of them is fine.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Odd that they are so short, coming out of the wall like that.
How many dwellings in this building?
Owner or renter? (Ask Landlord for advice if renting).

What is that other white cable? Where does that go to/from? (I can't make out if it's mains or coax type cable from the picture).

F-plug adapters to TV plug type connectors are readily available:
e.g. PROception Adaptors F-Female to TV (IEC) Female to allow a normal male to male TV plug fly lead to connect to each of those two F-plugs in turn.

No fly lead: you can buy a cable with F-plug on one end and a TV plug on the other; then use a f-barrel 'joiner'.

Note one cable, or the other, or both, or neither might work for UHF TV depending on what's on the other end of the cable(s).

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom