TV aerial connection

Steve Kelly

Hi all, I've got a new tv and want to connect the aerial so that I can use Freeview.
I have an aerial lead into the house which has some kind of connector on the end, but it doesn't fit the tv's aerial input port.
The circular metal 'housing' (sorry, don't know the terminology) around the pin connectors is the same width on both the aerial-in cable and the tv aerial port, hence the fit clash.

The other thing is, the aerial lead into the house is very short, and although the tv is close to it, it's fractionally not close enough, so I would ideally need to extend it slightly (a metre would be good, no longer).

So most importantly, which connectors would I need to make the two connections fit/work?
And then how easy is it to extend the aerial in cable (by a little bit), to make things easier.

Pics attached.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• Aerial cable.jpeg
    Aerial cable.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 21
  • TV aerial unput.jpeg
    TV aerial unput.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 20

mikej

Looks like you've got an F-plug to standard coax adaptor on the end of the cable ?

That essentially replicates a TV aerial outlet/socket (female) so it looks like a standard TV coax 'fly-lead' is all you need - just make sure it has a (male) pin at either end.

If you get one a metre long, then that should solve both problems.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member

Steve Kelly

Looks like you've got an F-plug to standard coax adaptor on the end of the cable ?

That essentially replicates a TV aerial outlet/socket (female) so it looks like a standard TV coax 'fly-lead' is all you need - just make sure it has a (male) pin at either end.

If you get one a metre long, then that should solve both problems.
Brilliant, thanks Mike. Sounds like the one I need.
Have a good one.
Steve.

Steve Kelly

Cable connectors and leads - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials is worth a read.

Best quality is to get a custom made one with satellite grade cable... Attach plug to "Custom Cable" - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials other places do them, too.

Cheap 1 metre fly leads would maybe work (but screening is usually poor). Pound stores and diy sheds sell them. These are Philex/SLX/Labgear cheapies: Philex F-Plug Coaxial Cable 1m also sold in Toolstation under the Proception brand.

Thanks Rodders. I've just ordered a cheap-enough rhino cable one from Amazon, so will give that a try first, and if the pic quality is not good enough with it will check these out.
Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom