1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Aerial and RF2

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by tristanv, Aug 1, 2005.

1. tristanv

tristanv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help I am new to DIY aerial and sky installation. Sorry for the long explanation below.

I have just moved in to a new house and it only had an aerial socket in one room. The loft aerial has a cable coming out of it which is then connected to another cable via coaxial plugs which then runs to the aerial socket. I have connected two other sockets to this coaxial point in the loft via plugin two splitters together and running two more wires down to the two new sockets. Both of these wires have additional joins in. The tv signals are ok if I use boosters.

However, I have sky + in one room and I want to be able to retain the tv aerial picture in this room but also want to run sky back through the socket via another splitter and the RF2 to another tv.

I have done this and even with a booster the picture is not Sky picture is not great on the extra tv.

I am sure the above is not the most elegant way of doing things. What is the simplest and most cost effective way of doing what I want. I am sure the splitters and joins in the cables must worsen the picture quality, but I just used what I had.

Please help.

2. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Try and change the RF channel on Sky. You may need to play around with a few and keep tuning the second TV in until you get better results (Services 4-0-1 select)

You are never going to get a spot on picture on the 2nd TV but if it is a small TV then the picture is more than acceptable. I have the my RF2 going to a 17" LCD and the picture quality is ok.

It will also depend on the quality of cable used. If you have normal TV aerial cable then this is fairly prone to interference. If you have satellite quality CT100 then you should be ok.

I personally have mine going from SKY+ through a wall socket to the loft. This then goes into a global distribution amp and back down to numerous wall sockets. I then have magic eyes connected so I can change the channel in other rooms.

3. hog

hog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi
    the best way to do it is to wire your loft aerial straight to your rf input on your plus box, then wire rf2 back up to the loft and fit a 4 or 8 way by-pass amp depending on how many points you want to feed to , this should give you good reception for watching your sky at every point and also terrestrial signals providing you are getting a good enough signal in the loft !

4. tristanv

tristanv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice

I have changed the RF channel to 35 and the picture seems much better.

However, I have a couple of other questions I would be grateful if you could help me with:

How much would an amp cost and do you have a suggested make and model? I have 3 TV's in the house.

Also if I replace my coaxial cables for CT100 will this be able to carry terrestrial signals as well as satellite?

Instead of wiring 3 cables to my aerial via two way splitters is it possible to wire three cables direct to the aerial?

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    You would do better to place a powered amplifier/splitter in the loft as close to the aerial as possible, this is the main point.
    CT100 is better, I am not sure there may now be CT125, although if it is coming fron the sky box, is it mono anyway.
    Nigel

6. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In this case ,
    hog described it best, fit an amp like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33969&doy=2m8

This will allow dc vlotage to pass through allowing the fitment of digilink eyes.

Any connections are a weak point, try to keep the cable in one length,CT100 is the best around and is easy to work with.

If you run a cable from rf2 out to the main input feed (uhf), on the amp, then use the outputs to serve the rest of the house you are all set.

This will be the most cost effective, there are better ways, but it means more cables and £.

PS if the main aerial cable from the loft is a long run, use one of your boosters as close to the aerial as you can.
    Good luck

7. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    CT125 is overkill for a domestic system. Hard to handle and pricey.

From the description you don't need a loftbox rather a F140 amp that will amplify and distribute your RF2 output and still allow you to run skyeyes around the house.

8. tristanv

tristanv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a couple more queries then I will get to work on it.

Would it be best to put a double aerial socket on the wall, so that I can run the aerial and rf2 seperatly to the loft?

If I buy a four way amp as was suggested will each channel accept signals both ways (ie. will I be able to plug in the loft aerial the rf2 from the sky+ box and three tvs)?

I as the second question because I tried connecting my three tv's to the loft aerial via my booster and while I got a perfect terrestrial signal on all tv's it would noy get any sky signal on the other tv's at all.

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what you mean here, but have a look here http://www.satcure.co.uk/

10. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I understand the confusion.

The RF2 output will also carry all your standard tv channels as well.

Ideally you need to do the following.

From the aerial, run a cable direct down to the lounge and present on one of the two output connections on a twin outlet faceplate.

From this feed your vcr/sky box with it making sure your sky box is the last thing in the chain.

From the RF2 output of your sky box connect to the secound outlet point on your twin socket and run a cable from the back of that connection back up to the loft to feed you 4 way, Sky IR compatable amplifier.

You need to make sure your Sky RF2 output is on and I can never remember the rc code to get into the engineers settings to turn it on and tune it to a spare channel.

Hope that makes sense.

Chris