1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV advice

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Party Animal, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Last night the Mother-in-law informed me that her TV has gone belly up...she has £500 limit for a new one

Obviously being of 'Mature' age she is not interested in surround sound. but asked our opinion about should she get a widescreen

to which I said "yes" but after more thought today, she does not want to be looking at 'black bars' as 99% of her viewing is soaps... Although she mentioned a DVD Player is on the Horizon

so should I now say stick with 4/3 I am favouring widescreen.. which of the current crop automatically "stretch" the screen out to the edges --without her having to mess about with the remote all the time

she will be upgrading from a 24" 4/3 set
    so all advice will be welcomed as to what type/brand/size for a 70 year old female

I seem to think Sonys have this auto stretch feature

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    All w/s TVs have a stretch mode - of varying 'standard' but, obviously, they all distort the image somewhat.

However, the vast majority of current broadcasting is actually now made in 16x9 widescreen - this definitely includes Eastenders - not that I watch it but I've caught glimpses from time to time.

To see these programmes in WS you need the ability to pick up Digital TV (either by Freeview, or by $ky). We can immediately discount $ky as being far too expensive. Some new TVs come with freeview on board. Otherwise, freeview can be received using an adaptor (aka set top box).

It's the way to go; the government has a stated aim to discontinue regular analog broadcasts - how long it will take is another matter.

If she's somewhat of a technophobe, an integrated digital (freeview, aka DVB) TV would probably be the best bet. I'm not 'up' on models and prices, however, and you should, before paying significantly extra for one, check out signal availability at her postcode.