• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tv advice

Hdemmon446

Novice Member
I have 3500 to spend on a tv today. Upgrading from a 3yr old samsung uhd 65inch.. for that price i can get the Lg oled 65e7 model or go with the 75inch vizio P series.. can you guys give me some advice on which one to buy and why?
Thanks.

Dodgexander

Have you seen this article?

Best picture quality 70-75 inch TVs - Summer 2017: Reviews

You should aim to get one of the recommended TVs instead at 75" if you can, not the P series. Not that the P series is bad, just that it seems average.

So the differences? With the E7 you get much better sound as it has a Dolby Atmos sound bar included. If you don't need the sound you could look at the B7 or C7 instead. You get deeper blacks, much wider viewing angles, Dolby Vision HDR support and hardware that supports HDR up to UHD premium standards.

With the Vizio you get more options to smooth out motion, although both perform the same out of the box and a larger screen.

Optimally you want to view as close as 5 ft to a 75" TV and 4 ft to a 65" if you want to take full advantage of noticing the increase of UHD resolution vs FHD.

They say you should always go for the bigger size, but I would base your decision on viewing distance and also whether you can afford a better 75" tv instead such as those listed in the link.

I would also beware about prices, you say you need to buy today but you will likely save a lot by buying later. Right now prices are high and there will already be big discounts come black friday. Between black friday and spring next year, those tv's will be at their cheapest potentially saving you big $$$s. You will also likely be able to afford better TVs then compared to now as there is a chance they will drop into your price bracket.

If there were still some discounted 2016 models about, I would recommend going for those instead to get better bang for buck, but likely they are all sold out by now.

Hope this helps.

Hdemmon446

Novice Member
My viewing distance is about 15ft.. i have a large living room. Not worried about sound as i have a surround system. So the sony you think if I want the best 75inch and not the vizio? Haven't even looked at sonys yet but i will check that one out. I just really wanted to go bigger. Thanks

Dodgexander

It depends what you are going to watch. If you want to use the t.v. for HDR and have nice bright highlights, HDR as it's supposed to be viewed then it's worth it. If it's just the case you are gonna be watching normal tv, FHD Blu-Ray etc e.g. SDR then it's probably not worth the extra.

At that distance yes you'll want the bigger size.

But 15ft and 75" you aren't gonna be noticing UHD vs FHD much, if at all anyway :(

Bunkerking65

Novice Member
Thanks for your help. Just picked up a brand new Sony xbr75x940E off Ebay for $4199

Are you satisfied with your decision so far?

I have a lower budget than what you paid, but I am trying to decide between the LG75SJ8570 which seems like the better buy for my needs or spend a couple extra hundred for Sony's XBR75X900E model. They are both recommended here so I don't think I will go wrong with either Best 70 Inch 4K TV? Our Top 70" Ultra HD Television Models

How do you like the AndroidTV operating system? The LG has webOS which I've used before and enjoyed, but AndroidTV may be even better.

I own a bunch of Amazon Alexa products and the Sony is supposed to work with them natively for voice commands so that's a cool yet unnecessary perk as I'm not sure how often I'd actually use it heh.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom