TV advice upgrade from my 12 year old Samsung!!

jdman28

Novice Member
Hi there,

I've been looking through the reviews.

My current set is a 2010 Samsung le46b650 which i actually really like haha.

I'm either going to move to a 55" or 65". Seating position 2.6m meters from television. 65" will take up most of the wall but I'm very tempted to enjoy watching the football next saturday!

Between my partner, baby son and I we watch standard satellite TV, netflix etc, kids shows, currently play PS4 may upgrade to PS5 and enjoy watching football albeit streamed via sky go app. For the above and within my budget assuming the entry level TV's on your list would be best. Or could i go cheap and buy something much cheaper, the Philips 55PUS7906/12 was down to £379 now junped back to £499 but for my needs above would this be suitable? Looking for a set to last another 10 years :)

I'm looking at a budget of £600-£800 ideally.

1. Samsung QE55Q80A 55" QLED 4K HDR 1500 Smart TV (down to £559!! !)
2. The 65" is £799 which is a bit jump from the bargain 55inch. Should I wait for the 65" to come down further
3. LG OLED55A16LA (£699)
4. 65" for £899 but only 60hz and will be upgrading to ps5 at some point.

Do you have any other recommendations or am I down the right path? £559 looks a very good price for the Samsung but I think I want to stretch to the 65 inch.

Also is anyone aware of any bargains to be had?

Uppo

Novice Member
I am in a similar situation still watching my 2007 le40m87bdx Samsung. Although very old now it's still a good picture for 1080p and SDR. From what I understand it's not worth upgrading if you don't use HDR streams and you are happy with the set you have. I would recommend looking at Dodgexanders 2021/22 tv guide. If you do want to get the best out of HDR it's probably better to save up and get one of the higher priced TV's he recommends. That is what I am going to do when my old Samsung does finally give up. There is satisfaction in keeping older tech in use, it's greener and cheaper I suppose. Plus the older Samsung's give a nice bit of room heating as a bonus!

Dodgexander

I am in a similar situation still watching my 2007 le40m87bdx Samsung. Although very old now it's still a good picture for 1080p and SDR. From what I understand it's not worth upgrading if you don't use HDR streams and you are happy with the set you have. I would recommend looking at Dodgexanders 2021/22 tv guide. If you do want to get the best out of HDR it's probably better to save up and get one of the higher priced TV's he recommends. That is what I am going to do when my old Samsung does finally give up. There is satisfaction in keeping older tech in use, it's greener and cheaper I suppose. Plus the older Samsung's give a nice bit of room heating as a bonus!
I owned a similar model to you in the past in the M86. It served me well, instead of replacing it, I fixed it before moving to another TV.

It's still a decent TV today, it's definitely worth upgrading to one of the models in the guide though, as you kindly say.

Uppo

Novice Member
I owned a similar model to you in the past in the M86. It served me well, instead of replacing it, I fixed it before moving to another TV.

It's still a decent TV today, it's definitely worth upgrading to one of the models in the guide though, as you kindly say.
Yes it's still gives a nice picture with HD via a Humax foxsat PVR. It has been playing up with loud static on turn on, and the clicking on and off when there is a input on hdmi. The noise gradually lessens and goes away. I just turn it on and leave it for ten minutes before switching on the PVR. I put a reconditioned power board in but it's still the same so I expect something is going bad on the main board. It started this before Christmas and I thought great I will get a new TV! It's still going though and hopefully will get me through to next Black Friday when I will treat myself to a Oled.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom