TV advice please

Big Starbuck

Hi I’m looking to buy a tv in Black Friday sales. I’m thinking OLED because despite being in quite a bright room my viewing would mostly be in the evening and I can control the light to an extent.

First size, not sure whether to stay 55” or go to 65”. I currently sit 6 1/2 - 8 feet away from the tv depending on sitting upright or back.

Use case would be 60% movies and tv ie Netflix, Disney plus and 40% gaming on ps5.

Budget wise I’d like to stick below £1500 which seems to rule out 65” models right now.

I don’t intend to wall Mount or get calibrated which is swaying me more towards a Sony a80j for better out of the box colour accuracy and the tv stand being able to so high enough to accommodate a sound bar down the line.

Thanks

Big Starbuck

764CC23D-0831-481B-9BAC-66CE18EDBD93.jpeg
Do you reckon 65” would be too overwhelming or should I hold out for a 65” when they’re cheaper? This tv unit is apparently up to 75” suitable. Thanks.

Ps as you can see the left side of my current tv is faulty and out of warranty. Put me off going for another Samsung seeing it’s only 3 years old!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I sit just over 8ft away from a 65" and considered going to 77"

You get used to it very quickly

Ps as you can see the left side of my current tv is faulty and out of warranty. Put me off going for another Samsung seeing it’s only 3 years old!

Most decent retailers such as Richer Sounds, John Lewis etc, now give you a 5/6 year warranty as standard. Avoid Amazon/Argos et as they only do a 1 yr warranty.

Big Starbuck

I sit just over 8ft away from a 65" and considered going to 77"

You get used to it very quickly

Most decent retailers such as Richer Sounds, John Lewis etc, now give you a 5/6 year warranty as standard. Avoid Amazon/Argos et as they only do a 1 yr warranty.
My only concern was the edges of the screen being on my peripheral vision and having to glances back and forth to see everything especially in games. I feel like that picture I uploaded doesn’t convey how big the tv seems in person 😂

I actually bought this tv with currys. I was thinking about richersounds (don’t have John Lewis over in NI) but I know someone that can get me 20% off in currys which would make the LG C1 65” in budget! On the curry’s website it says a 5 year warranty is included but I can’t seem to find what that actually covers, clicking on the warranty just takes me to the currys extra care and repair service. Would this be with LG? Just don’t feel comfortable spending that sort of money without better protection after my experience with this Samsung.

Thanks!

vickster

Distinguished Member
An extended warranty might be 3rd party like Domestic & General or might be Currys (with repairs outsourced) but call them and ask. It likely won’t cover OLED burn in though which if playing certain types of game, could be an issue

Big Starbuck

Was in currys today looking at the 65” c1 and 65” a80j and the Sony definitely looking brighter and smoother. £100 difference between them at £1799 and £1699, LG being the cheaper of the two. Tbf they weren’t displaying the same content, the LG had a grainy and dark looking fast and furious scene where as the Sony was playing a demo to show off the picture which might explain the difference. Hard to tell when it’s not like for like. Throwing up more questions than answers! 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

Also both outside what I want to pay but I’m trying to convince myself it’s a long term investment!

Are the TVs likely to be any cheaper in Jan / feb? Might be able to live with my faulty tv until then of worth the wait

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Are the TVs likely to be any cheaper in Jan / feb?

Maybe... a little. They tend to get a decent discount for Black Friday, then go up and down a small amount over the next few weeks for Xmas, New Year etc.

The next big discounts will come when the new TV's are launched in 2022 and start becoming available which isn't until March onwards.
April/May/June is when TVs are the cheapest. The longer you leave it, the cheaper they get, but you start coming into the possibility of missing out when the 2020 models sell through.

Big Starbuck

Maybe... a little. They tend to get a decent discount for Black Friday, then go up and down a small amount over the next few weeks for Xmas, New Year etc.

The next big discounts will come when the new TV's are launched in 2022 and start becoming available which isn't until March onwards.
April/May/June is when TVs are the cheapest. The longer you leave it, the cheaper they get, but you start coming into the possibility of missing out when the 2020 models sell through.
Not sure I’m willing to wait that long. I think I’m set on OLED and the 55” price is more what I would could stomach paying but there’s also the thought that I would regret going that size for the savings when you take into consideration the tv would ideally last 5/6 years.

There’s a richersounds in Belfast here and they appear to have a buy now pay later up to ten months interest free which I’m considering as I just bought by first house so don’t want to leave myself short 🙈

It’s hard have an enthusiast to interest but not a matching bank account lol

Big Starbuck

I went into richersounds today and after some talking with the salesman I decided on a 55” A80J I’ll have next week!

He’s reckons at my distance it’s enough so I trust him lol. Refreshing to not be pushed to the dearer product and talk to someone that’s actually an enthusiast and not just there to make a sale. Living up to their reputation! 👌🏻

The excitement begins now haha

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom