• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Tv Adverts-do they make you go out and buy that product

kopchoir

Banned
Now im not one for tv adverts normally im not that gullible making me go out and buy something, usually as i cant afford it The Honda adverts are class but does it make you want to go buy a Honda doesn`t me

Reason i ask is because i cant stop eating boiled eggs because of that runny egg advert with soldiers:devil: and if they get overcooked and there not runny its a travesty:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Anyone else after seeing an advert you had to go out and buy that product or just as something as simple as runny eggs with soldiers

Kop

Ned Senior

Now im not one for tv adverts normally im not that gullible making me go out and buy something, usually as i cant afford it The Honda adverts are class but does it make you want to go buy a Honda doesn`t me

Reason i ask is because i cant stop eating boiled eggs because of that runny egg advert with soldiers:devil: and if they get overcooked and there not runny its a travesty:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Anyone else after seeing an advert you had to go out and buy that product or just as something as simple as runny eggs with soldiers

Kop

Am with you about the soldiers and egg Kop

I rareley watch tv like maybe one evening two or three times a year cannot concentrate comfortably due to a bad eye
Anyhoo switched on last week or week before and saw an add for Magnum ice lollies with brownie bits.. Now this is what I desire and they are scarce in the supershop!!!Bah

Iccz

Adverts don't make me buy something, they make me want things sometimes but after a few minutes then it'll pass and i'll not bother.

They make me want things I have in the house sometimes but I never go out of my way to get something after seeing it on TV.

danuk

Novice Member
Adverts don't make me want to go out and buy a product directly. Weeks of being asked by my three year old "daddy can I have the peppa pig toy if I'm a good girl" does though.
Agree about the eggs, definitely have to be runny.

jassco

Distinguished Member
i'm not sure if the entire purpose of an advert is to make you impulse buy. What they do is create a brand presence; so for me when i finally get round to getting a new tv and i'm looking on the net, I'll think to myself 'oh that one looked good on the advert'. I'm then more likely to get that one than one i've never heard of.

there are a few adverts which really get me though; especially the M&S food ones!

reddevil63

I think women are more persuade by ads than men.

Just look how many 'anti-wrinkle', anti-aging' cream ads there are.

Personally I don't buy something on seeing an ad.

PS Runny boiled eggs FTW!

leonkennedy

Standard Member
Not at all...
In fact after I buy anything...and if I see that product being advertised on the TV, I feel good that I have it...lol

Desmo

Distinguished Member
What they do is create a brand presence
That's all they're for really. Creating a household name, a brand you've heard of, one you trust. They're not expecting you to leap off the sofa and go buy something, but next time you're out shopping you see the brand name, recognise it and at least consider it.

kBm

Distinguished Member
Some tv ads work - take Dr Pepper for example. They took on board people didn't know what it was, turned it around and now have a whole "what's the worst that can happen..." theme going on.

Marmite is another one "love it or hate it".

Im always a sucker for creme eggs, and when the adverts start appearing its like a reminder that they are in the shop - go forth and buy. :D

Ian J

Banned
I think women are more persuade by ads than men.

I think that the car manufacturers and lager brewers might disagree with you as would cigarette smokers in the days when there were adverts for cigarettes on the TV

Some tv ads work - take Dr Pepper for example.

And some have the opposite effect as Vauxhall found out when no-one would buy the Zafira due to the subconcious image that they had that they would be associated with the bearded idiot that advertised them

oj0

Some adverts are quite clever and do help you have a little more respect for certain products.

The new Sony advert for 200hz TVs has got me as everytime it's on I get that bloomin Kasabian song in my head. I know that the 200hz thing is a little bit of a scam and as SWMBO pointed out, how can they show a demo of 200hz on a TV which isn't 200hz! Crazy!

On the other hand though, it sparked a bit of discussion about the product and I like the fact that Sony had good taste in music and footballers which is a definite step-up in my opinion of them!

cdm22

No....if anything they have the completely opposite effect, especially if the advert annoys me.

Razor

I hardly ever watch adverts these days due to sky+. :)

I would say adverts generally don't make me go out and buy things.

No....if anything they have the completely opposite effect, especially if the advert annoys me.

I'll second that.

dBrowne

They usually just make me want to channel-surf. Rarely get to see the end of anything unless it's on the Beeb or I PVR it and start watching at least 15-20 minutes in. I'd probably be a good Ritalin candidate.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
That admiral add with the pirate and the parrot about car insurance made me go get them as my insurer. The dulux add is making me go buy a dulux paint pod for when I start my project.

And who can forget the Cilit Bang adds, I went out and bought that stuff so I could shout "Bang, and the dirt is gone!" each time I used it (that stuff really does work though)

The toilet duck add made me by those toilet gel thingys, so yes, I'd say TV adds do make me go out and buy the products.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Just spent the last week and a half doing loads of Station Copies of the latest Adidas commercial starring Lionel Messi & Zidane. First time I saw it I thought it was amazing. Having now watched it 100 times in 10 different languages I am sick of it. Massively pretentious but still a bit special, its Lionel Messi after all :D

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Lil-lets ... I've got a wardrobe full of them! :rolleyes: :( :D

Reminds me of when I came home to a delivery of 2 crates of Tena Lady pads. Thought it was a mate having a laugh ! I left them for a week then day I decide to throw them out one of my neighbours knocked to see if I had received any odd deliveries. Of course they were hers and being an old lady she couldn't carry them. So I had to lug these crates one at a time over to hers :rotfl:

kBm

Distinguished Member
I often think food adverts are strange as they usually show them after i've just had my tea! Last thing i need to watch is a super slow-mo' of a Marks n Sparks chocolate pud.....

I've always been perplexed how KFC ishas managed to pass itself off as some viable 'family meal'? Of course they don't mention or use specific words (ie being nutritional, five a day, healthy etc) but the images they use are all about family units having a great time with thier wonderful food.

Another question; Do celebrities have any effect?

Can't say Gary Linker's relationship with Walkers has made me rush out and buy more walkers, but it hasn't put me off either. Now Iceland and Kerry Katona is a different story....:rolleyes:

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I hardly ever watch adverts these days due to sky+. :)

Advertisers have changed the way they produce adverts to account for this. Try watching an add break on x30 speed, and you'll basically get each product flashed up on screen just long enough to create an impression. In fact arguably, they're tapping into your much more receptive sub-conscious in the way that flash frames used to. They specifically make the adverts in a way so that this happens. Clever stuff.

It is all about brand presence. As you walk around the supermarket, many people will buy branded products because of their perceived quality. In effect the extra cost of these products comes from the marketing, not from the better quality ingredients etc.

Morrisons can sell salad cream at 24p a bottle, when the Heinz is nearly triple the cost. They may taste slightly different, but that doesn't mean the Heinz is better - we're just conditioned to certain tastes and brands. It didn't take me long to move from Heinz ketchup to the Morrisons' one. Now the Heinz one just doesn't taste as 'good' to me.

The real shockers are Anadin, Nurofen etc. The mark up on these is astonishing. They really do only contains the same ingredients as the own brand ones that are a quarter of the price - ask any pharmacist.

Baked beans is another kettle of fish though :D

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
The Vodaphone commercials with people miming to songs have got to be the MOST irritating ads ever. The lad in the Mechanics in particular :thumbsdow

Iccz

I don't think I would use swift car insurance as that Iggy Pop ad is so b****y annoying :D

Didn't they have to take that advert off because they refuse to insure entertainers and Iggy Pop was saying in the ad how he uses them...

There were certainly complains about it i'm sure.

Edit:
Viewers challenged whether it was misleading to suggest that Iggy Pop had insurance with the advertisers, because those who worked in entertainment could not take a car insurance policy with the advertiser, according to the Swiftcover website. The ASA agreed that some viewers might understand from the ad that those in the entertainment business, like Iggy Pop, would be able to get Swiftcover insurance. The advertiser was not helped by the fact that Iggy Pop did not actually have a policy with Swiftcover.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research launches Reference 80S power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett