Tuya/Smart Life Compatible Wifi LED controller

Rosedani

Standard Member
Hi All,

I'm after buying an RGB LED light strip controller that is compatible with the SmartLife app.

All the ones that I see online are only compatible with the Magic Home app.

I already have a controller plugged into my LED strips that is Magic Home compatible but the app is crap and I would prefer to combine the LEDs with everything else I have running in SmartLife.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Dan

Jester1066

Here's what I use The model of the controller is a "WT5" - Which says it uses the Tuya app (this is identical to the smartlife app) which it also work with.

Rosedani

Standard Member
Here's what I use The model of the controller is a "WT5" - Which says it uses the Tuya app (this is identical to the smartlife app) which it also work with.

Thanks for this... the WT5 does look like what I'm after. Do you need a separate hub to get this connected to WiFi or is everything needed contained in the controller? What power supply rating do you use with yours?

Jester1066

Thanks for this... the WT5 does look like what I'm after. Do you need a separate hub to get this connected to WiFi or is everything needed contained in the controller? What power supply rating do you use with yours?
Nope you don't need a seperate hub. It's all in the controller. I use 2 of the controllers to operate:

1x 3m CCT tunable strip (on 1 WT5)
1x 3m RGB+CCT strip (on 2nd WT5)

This means I can control each strip as seperate "zones". The RGB+CCT strip is around my TV. (Zone 1), with the CCT strip as under cabinet lighting (Zone 2).

The PSU you need depends on the watts per metre rating of your strip(s). I use this one;

Which powers both the strips. Do you already have the RGB strip? If so post a link of it and the length you'll be using. I'll recommend a power supply based on its spec.

Rosedani

Standard Member
Nope you don't need a seperate hub. It's all in the controller. I use 2 of the controllers to operate:

1x 3m CCT tunable strip (on 1 WT5)
1x 3m RGB+CCT strip (on 2nd WT5)

This means I can control each strip as seperate "zones". The RGB+CCT strip is around my TV. (Zone 1), with the CCT strip as under cabinet lighting (Zone 2).

The PSU you need depends on the watts per metre rating of your strip(s). I use this one;

Which powers both the strips. Do you already have the RGB strip? If so post a link of it and the length you'll be using. I'll recommend a power supply based on its spec.
Hi,

I currently have this LED strip.

Amazon product
The PSU I'm using isn't available anymore but it had this description:
Signcomplex LED Driver 12V 6A Power Supply, AC 90-240V to DC 12V Adapter Switching Transformers for LED Strip Adapter 62 Watt Max, CE/TUV/GS Certifica

Thanks
Dan

Jester1066

Hi,

I currently have this LED strip.

Amazon product
The PSU I'm using isn't available anymore but it had this description:
Signcomplex LED Driver 12V 6A Power Supply, AC 90-240V to DC 12V Adapter Switching Transformers for LED Strip Adapter 62 Watt Max, CE/TUV/GS Certifica

Thanks
Dan
This power supply should be fine - assuming you're only connecting 1 run of (upto 5m) strip:

Deal of the day: LE 12V 2A Power Supply for LED Strip Lights, AC 100-240V Mains to DC 12V Converter Adapter Driver Transformer, 24W UK Plug with 1.2M Cable, 5.5mm x 2.1mm Jack, GS TUV Approved Amazon product
The WT5 controller can either be connected to a PSU via bare wires or a DC jack (which the PSU above has) The RGB strip connect to the other end of the WT5 via bare wire (an RGB strip will have 4 wires - 1 for each of the 3 colours and a 12v live wire). These ends simply screw down into the controller.

Edit:a wiring diagram is included in the instructions with the WT5. The controller allows you to use Google/Alexa to voice commands and routines to operate the strips (in addition to the smartlife app). Fab bit of kit imo

Rosedani

Standard Member
This power supply should be fine - assuming you're only connecting 1 run of (upto 5m) strip:

Deal of the day: LE 12V 2A Power Supply for LED Strip Lights, AC 100-240V Mains to DC 12V Converter Adapter Driver Transformer, 24W UK Plug with 1.2M Cable, 5.5mm x 2.1mm Jack, GS TUV Approved Amazon product
The WT5 controller can either be connected to a PSU via bare wires or a DC jack (which the PSU above has) The RGB strip connect to the other end of the WT5 via bare wire (an RGB strip will have 4 wires - 1 for each of the 3 colours and a 12v live wire). These ends simply screw down into the controller.

Edit:a wiring diagram is included in the instructions with the WT5. The controller allows you to use Google/Alexa to voice commands and routines to operate the strips (in addition to the smartlife app). Fab bit of kit imo
Yes, I'll only be connecting one 5m run to it.

Perfect! Thanks for you help and advice! I'll get the WT5 from that link you sent.

Jester1066

Yes, I'll only be connecting one 5m run to it.

Perfect! Thanks for you help and advice! I'll get the WT5 from that link you sent.
You're welcome.

Let me know how it goes! If you need any help with setup etc message me 👍🏼😊

Rosedani

Standard Member
You're welcome.

Let me know how it goes! If you need any help with setup etc message me 👍🏼😊
So just recieved the control unit in the post and followed the instructions to get it set up on the SmartLife/Tuya app.

I made sure it was in RGB mode and the LED light came up as solid red. The LED strips came on in blue.

Then I switched my WiFi over to 2.4ghz and went to the SmartLife app. Pushed the match/set key on the controller for 2 seconds and the LED flashed purple quickly.

The SmartLife app came up with a device called RGB as soon as the light started flashing purple so I clicked the button in the app to pair the controller.

I waited until the timer ran down but it said failed to connect so I retried but got the same failed to connect message.

I've tried a few times but keep getting the same message.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Jester1066

Can you post a picture showing how you've wired the rgb strip into the WT5?

It should be wired as follows:

12v live - from RGB Strip (usually black wire) ➡️ Positive on WT5
Red wire (from RGB Strip) ➡️ terminal below the positive
Green wire ➡️ terminal below red wire
Blue wire ➡️ terminal below green wire.

Screenshot_20211129-200323_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Third wiring diagram down is for RGB strip

Once wired, press (and hold) the pair button for 12secs. Then try pairing through the smartlife app. Keep your phone fairly close to the WT5 itself.

Rosedani

Standard Member
Can you post a picture showing how you've wired the rgb strip into the WT5?

It should be wired as follows:

12v live - from RGB Strip (usually black wire)  Positive on WT5

Red wire (from RGB Strip)  terminal below the positive

Green wire  terminal below red wire

Blue wire  terminal below green wire.

Third wiring diagram down is for RGB strip

Once wired, press (and hold) the pair button for 12secs. Then try pairing t hrough the smartlife app. Keep your phone fairly Hi,close to the WT5 itself.

Rosedani

Standard Member
Hi,

Yes, just double checked the wiring and I have done it as per the RGB diagram.

The strips seem to be working fine but I just can't get them to connect to the SL App.

I tried holding down the button on the controller for 12secs and it shows up in the app as RGB but when I click connect it just times out and says failed to connect.

Then I tried holding the button down for two seconds. It came up as RGB again in the app but timed out and failed to connect again.

I tried unplugging the controller for 10 seconds and then held the button down for 12secs and tried to pair but it said failed again.

It's strange that the app is seeing it but can't connect?

The LED light on the controller does flash purple quickly but as soon as I click connect on the app the light stops flashing and it goes to red. Then after a couple of mins the app says failed to connect?

Jester1066

On the image I posted above. Follow the instructions for "Tuya App Connection" - it'll be the same process for the spartlife app as the interface is the same.

Edit: try the AP connection method detailed in the same section.

Edit 2: To reset the strip turn it on and off 3x via its psu as per smartlife app instructions:

Screenshot_20211129-210340_Smart Life.jpg

Last edited:

Jester1066

Once the strip is reset - use the Smartlife app to try repairing it. Do not press the match button on the WT5

Rosedani

Standard Member
That worked! I think just needed a reset. As soon as I did that it came up in SmartLife and connected straight away.

Thanks again for all the help. 👍👍👍

Jester1066

That worked! I think just needed a reset. As soon as I did that it came up in SmartLife and connected straight away.

Thanks again for all the help. 👍👍👍
Your very welcome....

Just missing the obligatory picture showing the LED's in all their glory! 😉🤣👍🏼

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom