Tutorial: What are Quantum Dots?

Superb as always.
Funny just asked you in the wide color gamut thread about an article I read. Samsung apparently to hit 98percent of rec2020 in 2017 thanks probably to this technology. Let us know if you think this could be realistic and (excuse the question) if we have enough content for this kind of colour coverage ?

This is exciting times and looks like oled will have a serious competition ahead

Not sure if this an advertisement for Samsung Quantum Dot TVs.
Other manufacturers currently are not interested in Quantum dot only Samsung are making noises about them. The Sony ZD9 does not use Quantum dot but it's regarded as the best in the market and has higher brightness than Samsung Quantum TV.

The refinement of this technology and others, is why I believe that 2017 will be the year that 4K HDR finally comes of age. (Standards for display from all sources will also become available)

If you’re thinking of buying a new TV, don’t, but wait until next year. (I also suspect genuine 4K HDR projectors will also become available in the £3000-4000 price range)

Combine the above with the release of more affordable UHD Blu-Ray players, and you can see what an exciting year 2017 will be. (UHD discs should also drop in price (Despite the early adopters which currently keep them artificially high) as more are sold)

Bill

My ZT60 plasma from 3 years ago can do 98% DCI P3 (although absolutely useless since it doesn't work with UHD Blurays) so hardly impressive, LCD's have literally no hope of getting close to Rec 2020.

Surely somebody can design some display tech without fatal design flaws!

My ZT60 plasma from 3 years ago can do 98% DCI P3 (although absolutely useless since it doesn't work with UHD Blurays) so hardly impressive, LCD's have literally no hope of getting close to Rec 2020.
Where are you getting that number from? I know from testing that the ZT60 could deliver 98% of Rec. 709, it can't get anywhere near DCI-P3.

Not sure if this an advertisement for Samsung Quantum Dot TVs. Other manufacturers currently are not interested in Quantum dot only Samsung are making noises about them. The Sony ZD9 does not use Quantum dot but it's regarded as the best in the market and has higher brightness than Samsung Quantum TV.
Well it was a Samsung demo that I went to at IFA but it's still a valid technology and worth explaining. If we do an article about OLED, is that an advert for LG?

Superb as always.
Funny just asked you in the wide color gamut thread about an article I read. Samsung apparently to hit 98percent of rec2020 in 2017 thanks probably to this technology. Let us know if you think this could be realistic and (excuse the question) if we have enough content for this kind of colour coverage ? This is exciting times and looks like oled will have a serious competition ahead
I replied in the other thread but I'd be surprised if they can get to 98% of Rec. 2020 by next year, that seems like a big jump. However wider colour gamuts and brighter panels are definitely their end goal, as a way of competing with OLED.

Good article Steve, many thanks. Like the image of the volumetric flasks, flashback of my Chemistry lectures :)

Not sure if this an advertisement for Samsung Quantum Dot TVs.
Other manufacturers currently are not interested in Quantum dot only Samsung are making noises about them. The Sony ZD9 does not use Quantum dot but it's regarded as the best in the market and has higher brightness than Samsung Quantum TV.

Well it was a Samsung demo that I went to at IFA but it's still a valid technology and worth explaining. If we do an article about OLED, is that an advert for LG?

Sony used Quantum Dot Technology in 2013 under the marketing brand of "Triluminos" and have used it in subsequent hi-end models.

Samsung and friends started using it 2015 models and used Quantum Dot branding.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Samsung and friends started using it 2015 models and used Quantum Dot branding.
Actually Samsung were calling their quantum dot 'nano crystal' back in 2015 but switched to calling it quantum dot again this year when they realised no-one had any idea what nano crystal meant!

Where are you getting that number from? I know from testing that the ZT60 could deliver 98% of Rec. 709, it can't get anywhere near DCI-P3.
I was going off of the Panasonic specifications:
30,720 Gradation steps, DCI 98% colour space

Although even if true useless for consumer use, still regardless of how wide the colour gamuts on LCD's are there is still something that just doesn't have the same punch as plasma or OLED, they just look slightly washed out IMO.

Actually Samsung were calling their quantum dot 'nano crystal' back in 2015 but switched to calling it quantum dot again this year when they realised no-one had any idea what nano crystal meant!

I think I've proved your point about how unsuccessful the nano crystal marketing brand was! :blush:

I was going off of the Panasonic specifications:

Although even if true useless for consumer use, still regardless of how wide the colour gamuts on LCD's are there is still something that just doesn't have the same punch as plasma or OLED, they just look slightly washed out IMO.
Fair enough. I agree that the deeper blacks on an OLED or plasma gives the image a greater sense depth and solidity but LCD panels are getting better, the blacks on the Sony ZD9 look very impressive.

Very informative read Steve as always.

A QLED might be my next TV in a few years time. Until then, I'm more than happy with and agree the blacks on my Sony 75ZD9 look fantastic ...... especially now its been calibrated.;)

Very interesting article but am I the only one who finds these constant developments slightly depressing? A TV is a big investment and certainly in the past you would expect to own the same one for up to 10 years or more before replacing it assuming it didn't break. Now is seems that every six months or so there is another advance promising more colours and deeper blacks. A 10 year old TV is an antique. How much more colour can there be? How much more black can black get? In the words of Nigel Tufnel, none, none more black.

QLED seems to be the way forward but Samsung really need to up their game as far as quality control is concerned. Too many of this year’s screens are being returned if the Samsung LED/LCD forums are to be believed. I’m going to be hanging on to my Pioneer PDP LX5090 and Lumagen Radiance combo for as long as I possibly can. The technology battles have to settle down sometime soon? Please.

This quantum dot technology definitely has me interested. I was a big fan of OLED a year or two ago but the brightness issue has me losing interest in that (expensive) technology.

I probably will wait these out until they reach at least 1000nits and around 98% of Rec. 2020 - I still have only got an old 50" HD-Ready LG plasma :suicide: on the wall that I haven't used at all really for years.

Very interesting article but am I the only one who finds these constant developments slightly depressing? A TV is a big investment and certainly in the past you would expect to own the same one for up to 10 years or more before replacing it assuming it didn't break. Now is seems that every six months or so there is another advance promising more colours and deeper blacks. A 10 year old TV is an antique. How much more colour can there be? How much more black can black get? In the words of Nigel Tufnel, none, none more black.

Agreed. Does seem to be new model with a new or improved display or connection every time you turn around.

Hopefully a couple years more life in my LG 60PK590 yet. Enough time for things to settle down a bit anyway.

Could Quantum Dot be used with OLED or are they mutually exclusive technologies? As some of the advantages of Quantum Dot would help OLED.

Fair enough. I agree that the deeper blacks on an OLED or plasma gives the image a greater sense depth and solidity but LCD panels are getting better, the blacks on the Sony ZD9 look very impressive.
I've not had a chance to see one yet but I certainly like the look of the specs just a shame it wasn't the full fledged CLED they showed a few years back.

I think I'm just going to wait for an affordable 4K laser projector as I'm really not overly impressed by TV advancements anymore and I've not had a projector before so anything will probably blow me away :rotfl:

Agreed. Does seem to be new model with a new or improved display or connection every time you turn around.

Hopefully a couple years more life in my LG 60PK590 yet. Enough time for things to settle down a bit anyway.
Good to know there's still some of these knocking around. Had the 50" version myself and feel like a bit of a numpty having to sell it two years ago.

Enjoying some quantum dots on the 65KS7000 at the moment. They're very quantummy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom