Tutorial: How to fix streaming problems using WMP 11

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Delvey, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,939
    Ive noticed a far few people have problems with WMP11 suddenly not working with there xbox 360 for streaming video music etc. Now ive found a solution that may help others. Its a DRM issue that stops your xbox from not finding your PC or being unable to connect. Heres the solution:
    Go to Security component upgrade (offical microsoft website) and click the upgrade button. If the upgrade button is greyed out, then use this link: http://www.netflix.com/pages/previews/resetdrm.exe
    and retry the microsoft site. Once the upgrade has completed, restart both your PC and xbox 360 and it should now find and connect to it.

If you've added a shared folder, but your 360 cannot view or find it then heres the solution:
    Open WMP11
    Click library
    Click add to library, then advanced options
    You should now be able to add your own folders. Add the ones that you have shared and click ok. You may need to restart your PC and the xbox for your 360 to find the new folders.

Hope this helps people solve this problem, as it happens alot apparently and I couldnt work out how to solve it for a long time.

2. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Cheers for that, had MP4's playing fine in my 360 and PC running Vista home premium but formatted PC and reinstalled windows yesterday.

360 now can see the MP4's but won't play them. They play fine in WMP11 on PC.

Tried your 1st link, button greyed out. Tried the exe file but it comes up with 'The reset DRM operation failed'. Tried it running as administrator too. Any other ideas?

3. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,939
    you do have to wait a few seconds for the grey button to come up, ill have a look into it

4. chrislee

chrislee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Exactly the same for me...

Chris

5. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,939
  6. Chrispyphillips

Chrispyphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Finally, Chrispyphillips HAS COME BACK, To Swansss
    Ratings:
    +227
    I like this so have stickied it. I'm hoping it will be a read first source for peoples comments, so please update it with other important information, and please try refrain from idle chat in here. It could be a very useful source for streaming info!

7. wozwebs

wozwebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    My days of Googling have paid off:

This worked for me

http://forums.xbox.com/19567337/ShowPost.aspx

Think the problem I had was that I was trying to open the Netflix file from Firefox. Did in from IE and it worked, went back to the upgrade page and the button was now available.

All fine now - phew

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  8. chrislee

chrislee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks wozwebs, it was a firefox issue for me also. Opened the link in exporer and everything worked :thumbsup:

Chris

9. SteveU30

SteveU30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    Thank god for this stickie, I thought I was going to be trawling the forum for hours!!!

Steve

10. bananacat

bananacat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    still not worked for me i get a message sayin "Media sharing has been turned off because a required Windows setting or component has changed. For additional assistance, click Web Help" can anyone tell me how they got streaming to work when they had this message

11. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im about to have some sort of breakdown.

For the last couple of weeks all my media content that I have on my PC has stopped streaming to the Xbox, or at leats some times it will, and at others mostly it wont. Looking at this thread, I was unaware of a WMP update, but seeing as the timeline matches, and I have automatic updates on my PC its all strating to make some sort of sense.

Saying that, I cant fix it! :(

Tried the fixes on here but its still either taking an age to find any media content on the folders that show up on my Xbox or when it does find some, it pops up with various error messages from codecs not supported (this is with files I have played many times before) through to connection to PC lost.

If anyone has any more advice I would be very very grateful.

12. cassius76

cassius76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I thought I would chime in with a fix for a strange problem I had. My wmp11 stopped streaming and came up with a "media sharing has encountered an error" box.

Turns out is was a corrupt video file that crashes the ENTIRE library system.

To fix this:

I moved the last 10 things I added to the library and onto my desktop to figure out what the bad file was

removed all my folders from the library

Then manually re-added them.

13. craig76

craig76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. I have for over a year now just used the xbox own media player to listen to tunes. I have always experienced the problem of xbox seeing but not playing when in WMP mode. At last I maybe able to go straight to my albums rather than trawl through in my case very long lists:rotfl: I am going to leave now and give it a go fingers crossed :clap:

14. craig76

craig76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again I thought this was the fix i needed but I can already stream music film and photos to the xbox media players but I want to use Media Centre on my Xbox at present I can set it up I can see all my albums and artwork on my Xbox I just cannot play them urgggh! Help:lease:

15. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,939
    Craig, as far as I am aware, Media centre can play music but not films through the xbox 360.

16. BIGDENNIS10UK

BIGDENNIS10UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For some reason my PC will not stream media to my Xbox 360, if I try to load a video, most of the time it says

"Unplayable Content:
    The connection to your computer was lost. Make sure your computer is turned on, connected to your network, and is running media sharing software.
    Status Code: 53-C00DF238"

Once this has happened once, it is no longer possible to stream music from my PC.

The weird thing is, I can see all the files just fine and it passes the media streaming test. I'm pretty sure it's a PC problem, The fact that it works sometimes implies that my PC just decides it can't be bothered to stream anymore.

Anyone else had this problem, and any suggestions?

Cheers.

17. cassius76

cassius76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have suddenly seen this happening with my files. If I leave it long enough though, and try again, they start working. It's like they take ages to buffer to the xbox. And I'm on a wired network too!