• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tut Tut...

eduk

Distinguished Member

shotokan101

Banned
I don't believe that a wild wolf would jump over a gate rather than go through a clearly wide enough gap. What would cause a wild wolf to jump a gate?

+1

It just screams "Faked" :(

Jim

shotokan101

Banned

Stinja

Distinguished Member
+1

It just screams "Faked" :(
I find it hard to believe any proper wild animal (ignoring carnivores like a mad tiger defending its cub) would voluntarily jump past a human being :suicide: Of course he might have used remote movement-sensitive triggers or something, but i thought "fake" as soon as i saw it.

The other argument, how many competition winners are fake anyway? You get a "sunset" comp, and the winning photo looks great, but could you ever really see that image if you stood there? Or is it all post-production; removing human clutter, and blowing out the colours to make it more impressive... Just saying... :rolleyes:

shotokan101

Banned
I find it hard to believe any proper wild animal (ignoring carnivores like a mad tiger defending its cub) would voluntarily jump past a human being :suicide: Of course he might have used remote movement-sensitive triggers or something, but i thought "fake" as soon as i saw it.

The other argument, how many competition winners are fake anyway? You get a "sunset" comp, and the winning photo looks great, but could you ever really see that image if you stood there? Or is it all post-production; removing human clutter, and blowing out the colours to make it more impressive... Just saying... :rolleyes:

Yes - get the point - but that's usually within the rules these days.....

Jim

allymac123

unfortunately:(

its almost the person with the best PP skills wins:mad:

This, I believe, is becoming a massive problem and one that has the potential to do serious harm to the photography industry.

This topic crops up often and there is always a differing view. I'll readily admit to PP almost all my photos as any who shoots RAW does. Changes you can make an ACR can be quite extreme, although I only ever make small changes. The public en masse tend to think a lot of the Photography they see has been photoshopped fairly significantly and that is where the problem is. There could be 2 almost identicle pictures one that has been reached through PP and the other an out of camera jpg that has been done entirely in camera. The problem is people don't have to tell the public what has (or hasn't) been done. It annoys me because a lot of poeple assume wrongly that my stuff has been heavily processed when it hasn't.

shotokan101

Banned
I agree and I'm not a fan of massively PP'd images. Whilst some are most definitely stunning shots they have in some cases been pretty much created in PP and bear little resmblance to the original shot other than having the same "outline".

There has been a paticular example fairly recentlu on these forums that the "before" was posted on request and I was distinctly underwhelmed and at the same time impressed/jealous of the posters ability in PP/PS....

I do admit I can be quite heavy handed in my PP but in the main this isn't "adding creativity" to my shots - it's usually more an attempt to overcome or disguise shortcomings in my technique.

Regarding PP in competitions I think that it would be a good idea if entrants were required to submit a "before" copy of their final submission as well.

Jim

Last edited:

eduk

Distinguished Member
Film photographers have been winning competitions by changing and enhancing images using film types, filters and darkroom techniques for much longer than Photoshop ;)

shotokan101

Banned
Film photographers have been winning competitions by changing and enhancing images using film types, filters and darkroom techniques for much longer than Photoshop ;)

:eek:

Jim :D

1nternet

unfortunately:(

its almost the person with the best PP skills wins:mad:

i agree with you on that, 100%

i'm finding it a big enough challenge, just starting out with a digital slr, but now it seems like i'll have to learn some serious pp skills. its a bit daunting and disheartening to be honest :(

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Fi-lm? F-ilm? Fil-m? What is this word you speak of... ;)

Sorry wasnt trying to kick off a debate, just saying if PP is allowed, how far should the wolf picture be allowed to be changed before its illegal? Would a legitimate wild wolf jumping say a river in daylight, then PP'ed into jumping over a fence at night be allowed?

But yeah i agree with shotokan101 that an original should be submitted so before/afters could be compared. If nothing else I would find it fascinating to see the improvements.

eduk

Distinguished Member
Fi-lm? F-ilm? Fil-m? What is this word you speak of... ;)

Sorry wasnt trying to kick off a debate, just saying if PP is allowed, how far should the wolf picture be allowed to be changed before its illegal? Would a legitimate wild wolf jumping say a river in daylight, then PP'ed into jumping over a fence at night be allowed?

But yeah i agree with shotokan101 that an original should be submitted so before/afters could be compared. If nothing else I would find it fascinating to see the improvements.

Or make 'em all use a box brownie :devil:

jradley

It's worth noting though, the photographer wasn't disqualified for faking his photo in photoshop or whatever, it is alledged he faked it by using a trained wolf rather than a wild one. The photo itself isn't thought to be faked, just the circumstances under which it was taken.

Cheers,

John

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom