1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card good for HCPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MattTheCat, Jan 18, 2003.

1. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As per title, I have a Videologic SonicFury, which is based on a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Is this good enough to put into a Marantz SR6200 for home cinema quality sound?

Thanks, Matt

2. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simply.. Yes..

I use one IMO very successfully in HTPC/Tag Av32R with high end amplifcation and speakers...

Get a stereo mini jack to two phono convertor (maplin etc) and then use a decent coax cable to connect to your amp.

Cheers
    Paul :D

3. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds great, thanks! But does it mean I can't get 5.1 surround sound?

Matt

4. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think what Paul is saying is that the Digital output on the Sonic Fury is via 3.5mm socket. Specifically its output to the ring connector.

So you need a 3.5 mm plug to 2 phono sockets. One of which will be connected to the tip of the plug and therefore good for nothing, but the other will be connected to the ring of the plug. If you run a coax cable from here to the coax socket on your Marantz amp then you'll have 5.1 surround sound.

5. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, thanks for the help. Is this the kind of thing I need... 3.5 to Phono gold ?

Matt

6. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'll bow to Paul's judgement as he's actually done it, while I'm just quoting theory, but I think you actually need something like this instead

3.5mm to Stereo Phono

but only connect the coax lead from one side of this adapter to your amp. You'll know which side it is, because the other side won't work at all.

7. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right, thanks again for the help. Would the sound from this configuration be as good as dig coax out from my Sony NS300 DVD player?

Matt

8. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I don't see why not as they're both just extracting the digital audio straight from the disc and letting the amp decode it but I've not tried it yet myself.

I only bought an AV receiver last week and I can't connect it to my SonicFury coz the stupid Asus Terminator case I've got partially obscures the Versajack on the SonicFury :-(

Time for the hacksaw I think.

You might find this useful...

Digital Connection to Santa Cruz

bear in mind its the same card just a different name.

9. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Gerbil is spot on.. The Fury uses a "versa jack" which is configurable is various ways. You want to select the digital out and it splits the pair of rings on the minijack into stereo PCM and full digital. You will obviously want the full digital signal, otherwise (experience speaking) you will end up with the minijack hangin half out of the back of the sound card... not good..

Get the 3.5 mini jack to stereo phono... Thats exactly what Im using..

I have done loads of A/B testing on the output and using it on my Tag/Monoblocks/Martin Logans.. its sounds great... go for it..

Cheers
    Paul.

10. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks peeps.
    Off topic - can I use a Radeon 9500 TV out with S-video to my JVC 28" widescreen TV with good effect? (or at all!) This is just temporarily before I an afford a nice LCD projector (dreams :))

Matt

11. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Definitely.

Picture quality may not be fantastic. You certainly won't be browsing the web using your telly unless you like migraines, but you'll find that watching DVD's is probably very acceptable.

I've no idea about the TV-out capabilities of the Radeons, but I found TVTool was a worthwhile investment for improving the TV picture from a GeForce 2 MX. It makes it easy to get rid of the black borders that otherwise seem to occur.

Make sure you get a reasonable S-Video cable as the cheap ones will definitely suffer from interference and make your picture worse. You don't have to spend a fortune just so long as its got some reasonable shielding.

I used the S Video out from my GeForce card with a 25" Panasonic and a 28" Phillips 9617 until I got a Loewe with VGA input and it was fine for movies.