1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turntables. Wood, Glass or Acrylic platter?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Dfour, May 9, 2004.

?

Best Platter material under felt mat.

Poll closed May 29, 2004.
  1. Wood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Glass

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Acrylic

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. other please state

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have a Goldring GR1 turntable and I am very happy with it.:cool: I unfortunatly have the upgraditis bug :rotfl: and want to see how much more performance (at sensible prices) I can get from it.
    I know it uses loads or Rega items as was looking at puting a new rega cartridge (cant remember which one it was) and was interested in peoples expereinces with differant platter materials or if any one has any ideas about what I could do to upgrade the performance without replacing it :smashin:. Other half would kill me if I got a new one but she wont notice small changes to it :devil:

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Under a felt mat might be the limiting bit. Acrylic mats used to be available but generally platter / mat changes aren't too sucessful. Personally I would endorse graphite for the platter, no mat but I doubt your turntable can cope with that.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I think thats a bit of a complex subject. We are talking mechanical resonance, balance, stored inertia etc its one of the holy grails of the turntable manufacturers. Its not as simple as which is the best material. If it has the same foot spacings as a Rega you coulld sit it on a Rega TT shelf, make sure it is perfectly level, upgrade the arm with an Origin Live counterweight mod and/or cabling. After that its down to making sure you cartridge /arm is properly set for VTA, tracking force, overhang etc. Get a HiFi News test record.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks for the advice guys :)