Turntables on a budget

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Blackdog67, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Blackdog67

Blackdog67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am digging out all of my old vinyl from the 70s and 80s and wanted to buy a turntable to play them on. I am also hoping to pick up some more vinyl.

I only have a budget of about £100 to £150 and have been looking at secondhand turntables on Ebay. I have always been a bit of a Technics fan and have been looking at SL-D2, SL-BD22D and SL2000 turntables. I would really appreciate any thoughts on these turntables or any recommendations of others in this price range.:lease:

2. Kei86

Kei86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I'd discount the SL-BD22D as it has a P mount arm making cartridge choice more difficult. The SL-D2 is probably the best of the ones you've listed. The SL-2000 is a reasonable start too, though it is significantly bettered by the SL-1900.

Don't forget that you will also need a cartridge/stylus to match the table and this will be the most significant cost. Your amplifier will need a phonograph input (marked as phono normally) or you will need a separate phonostage to provide the RIAA equalization.

3. Blackdog67

Blackdog67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice. I have a Technics separates system with a "phono" input and so I assume this would do the job. The SL-D2 was my preferred choice after hearing other comments and so I'm pleased you have reinforced what other had said.