• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Turntable with in-built pre-amp?

killiefan

Established Member
All help appreciated and rewarded with a good old forum "thanks".

As title. Dirtect me please to those turntables. Looking at quality budget-mid range players.

Will plug into an Arcam C31 (no phono) and P1 power amps (not that that matters I guess).

Thanks.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
"quality budget-mid range players"

That is a little to vague for us to be helpful. Can you give us a real Pounds and Pence budget?

The range starts at about £299 for the Project Debut Carbon and goes up to infinity from there.

Given the quality equipment you have, I'm guessing a pretty fair price for the turntable and cartridge. There is no need to get the Phono Stage built into the Turntable, that is a feature typically available on lower priced entry level tables. External PHONO Pre-Amps can run from £50 to ...well... infinity, but realistically, about £250.

Not exactly in answer to your question, but you might find some helpful information in the following thread where we discuss a few turntable at a range of price (under £1000) -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/1766715-help-building-new-system-vinyl.html

Probably more relevant would be POST #13.

That should get the discussion started.

Steve/bluewizard

killiefan

Established Member
"quality budget-mid range players"

That is a little to vague for us to be helpful. Can you give us a real Pounds and Pence budget?

The range starts at about £299 for the Project Debut Carbon and goes up to infinity from there.

Given the quality equipment you have, I'm guessing a pretty fair price for the turntable and cartridge. There is no need to get the Phono Stage built into the Turntable, that is a feature typically available on lower priced entry level tables. External PHONO Pre-Amps can run from £50 to ...well... infinity, but realistically, about £250.

Not exactly in answer to your question, but you might find some helpful information in the following thread where we discuss a few turntable at a range of price (under £1000) -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/1766715-help-building-new-system-vinyl.html

Probably more relevant would be POST #13.

That should get the discussion started.

Steve/bluewizard

I know, I know - rushed the post a bit.

The in-built pre-amp is to please my better half. She will not go for another box (other than the turntable) and there's nowhere to hide a pre-amp.

On price, well I'm not sure if this is a whim or a serious addition to the system. My other kit averages about £1,000 per box, so ultimately I might look at something around that figure, but for now £300 is my limit. So what "lower priced entry level" should I check out?

Thanks.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The Project Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2M RED cartridge is a pretty decent system, but no PHONO built-in. These built-in Phono stages are rare in better turntables.

Superfi - PROJECT DEBUT CARBON TURNTABLE WITH ORTOFON 2M RED CARTRIDGE

The next step up is the Project Carbon Esprit for £499 with the same cartridge -

Superfi - PROJECT DEBUT CARBON ESPRIT TURNTABLE

There is one decent turntable that has a built-in Pre-Amp as well as USB, that is the Audio Technica ATLP120USBC USB for £279 MINUS the cartridge, there are several cartridges available in the roughly £50 to £100 range.

Superfi - AUDIO TECHNICA ATLP120USBC USB TURNTABLE

I am reluctant to go any farther DOWN the scale than that.

Moving up the scale, the Project Xpression III with the same 2M RED cartridge is about £450 -

Superfi - PROJECT XPRESSION III TURNTABLE (WITH ORTOFON 2M RED CARTRIDGE)

But NO Phono stage. Also with the Project Carbon/Esprit the Ortofon 2M Red is about the correct grade cartridge, but for the Xpression III, I would recommend the 2M BLUE. The 2M RED is about £85, the 2M BLUE is about £169. Though that's purely a matter of choice; the 2M RED is highly regarded in its price range.

Moving up Higher, the Project Xperience (no Cartridge) is about £679 with this very likely you want the 2M BLUE rasing the price to (£679 + £169 = ) £848.

I'm using Project as an example, many very much prefer the REGA turntables from the modest Rega RP1 -

[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Rega+RP1&oq=Rega+RP1&gs_l=products-cc.3..0l4j0i5.1389.4867.0.5059.8.8.0.0.0.0.87.658.8.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.932l3QWVDqo]Rega RP1 - Google Search[/ame]

To the more serious Rega RP3 -

[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Rega+RP3&oq=Rega+RP3&gs_l=products-cc.3..0l3.2098.3285.0.4495.2.2.0.0.0.0.83.152.2.2.0...0.0...1ac.2j1.gKaxtEgGu2s]Rega RP3 - Google Search[/ame]

To the even more serious Rega RP6 -

[ame=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Rega+RP6&oq=Rega+RP6&gs_l=products-cc.3..0l2.1162.4209.0.4353.8.8.0.0.0.0.103.669.7j1.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.KBHO3j4wlpw]Rega RP6 - Google Search[/ame]

But NO PHONO Pre-Amp in any of them.

I used Superfi links only for convenience, these are all common products available from a wide variety of sources at similar or perhaps better prices. A simple Google-UK shopping search will help you find locations near you and the best prices.

The only turntable that truly meets your requirements while meeting my minimum standard of quality is the Audio Technica. This is a quality turntable for the money, it does come with a VERY basic Audio Technica AT95E cartridge. Though I suspect, you will eventually need a cartridge upgrade. The AT95E cartridge is worth only about £40.

Audio-Technica - Products - Other - Turntables, Cartridges, Styli - AT-LP120-USBC

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

killiefan

Established Member
BlueWizard,

Since a pre-amp looks a must, and with one (or both) eye on the budget...what about a £250 Pro-Ject Debut III SE/Ortofon 510 II coupled with a £50 pre-amp?

ProJect has an MM only pre just under £50 and the MM/MC version at £70. The (I think) newer version Phonobox 2 is £75.

Nearly there!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
That's probably a good combination. That should bring you in complete for just a trace under £300.

Again, to stay under £300, other than what you suggested, the Audio Technica is the only TT that I can find that meets all your needs. Though I would probably rate the Project Debut III SE as better, it would be close.

Steve/bluewizard

killiefan

Established Member
That's probably a good combination. That should bring you in complete for just a trace under £300.

Again, to stay under £300, other than what you suggested, the Audio Technica is the only TT that I can find that meets all your needs. Though I would probably rate the Project Debut III SE as better, it would be close.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks Steve, you are precisely the reason I visit AVF so much.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom