Turntable with AV receiver...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by andyc11, Feb 19, 2014.

1. andyc11

andyc11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,

I'm just about to purchase a Project Essential turntable and fully aware I'll either need an amp with phono or if I use my Onkyo TX-SR608 a phono pre-amp. I currently use Boston Acoustics Soundware XS for my surround sound and despite their size, I'm pleased with the overall quality.

I'm debating whether to invest in a separate amp and some nice floorstanders or just use my existing set up and purchase a phono pre-amp. Clearly, this is the most cost effective way of getting up and running, as well as minimising lots of equipment around the house. Does anyone use their AV Receiver and surround sound with their turntables, or is the norm to have a standalone system?

I'm slightly concerned about the quality I'll get through my 5.1 system given my satellite speakers.

2. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Depends on how deep your pockets are at the moment. You could go for a good phono stage now that will go with you if you upgrade the rest of the system later, and Project have good offerings. Or, if you have the funds, you can upgrade the whole lot. Be warned though that on some bits of kit the phono stage is not always top priority.