Turntable volume very low at amp\speakers.

dominic89

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Would be very grateful if somone could help me, i have bought a old school 80s turntable (micheal focus one).

When i is connected to my cambridge audio 650 a Azur amplifier it has a very low volume, but if the amp is put on mp3 or anything it is loud like it has always been.

Someone mentioned to me that i probably need a pre out booster as my modern amp isnt set up for connecting to old school analogue.

With this special bit of kit that i need to buy i think there is something out there that does that and has the option of recording the vinyl onto a computer too which is something i definitely want.

If anyone knows anything about these set ups it would be great if i could get some info please as i dont even know what the name of this kit is called for me to look on google.

Many thanks
Dominic

If the Azur does not have a true phono input then you are going to need a phono stage.

You need a pre-amp like this:

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 551PBlack MM Phono Pre Amp

You can record to PC simply by using the tape output on the amp. But then end result will largely depend on the quality of the PC's sound card. But it's a very laborious process, especially if you're going to attempt to fix damaged records.

Nothing wrong with the Cambridge 551P MM Phono Pre-Amp of the money. I'll simply add another option at a similar price -

Project Phono Box MM Turntable Pre-Amplifier - Superfi

A typical Line Level input has a voltage range of up to 2v, however, a typical Moving Magnet (MM) Phono Cartridge has an output 5.5mV (0.0055 volts), which is tiny. So, it needs additional amplification to bring it up to Line Level.

Next, to make the grooves fit onto the record and to make the final product sound right, they have to Cut the Bass and Boost the Highs when the record is cut. However, on playback you need the opposite, cut the highs, boost the lows to get things back to normal.

This is referred to as the RIAA Equalization Curve -

RIAA equalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, yes you do need a Phono Equalizaton Pre-Amp.

The two suggested are fine if you have a MM (moving magnet) Cartridge. This is THE MOST COMMON type. However, on higher end turntables you sometimes find MC (moving coil) cartridges which have an even lower output and need even more amplification. MC tend to be expensive, though they sound good, and are typically only found on the highest end systems.

Using Cambridge as an example, the Cambridge Audio 651P Phono Pre-Amp will accept both MM and MC -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 651PSilver MM/MC Phono Pre Amp

Project also has several Phono Pre-Amps that can accommodate MM and MC type cartridges -

Project Phono Box Mk2 Turntable Pre-Amplifier - Superfi

Steve/bluewizard

Hi there,
Thanks so much for all your informative answers.
I will buy one of these pre amps then.
I had a quick look at reviews and the cambridge one seems pretty decent.
Would it be worth spending a extra £70 to get this one instead though?
Gram Amp 2 Communicator phono stage

Which brings me to my next question if you dont mind, with my michell focus one it has a very flimbsy detachable arm which i dont think is up to standard as i wanted to get a decent sound.
Does anyone have any idea what would be a good arm and cartridge for me?
Thats probably a massive can of worms im sorry but i can spend a few hundred if necessary, is there a obvious bit of kit for this as i have no idea?

Thanks again.

Hi there
I have picked the table back up and here are the pics.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 123
So would someone be able to advise me if this arm is ok?
I will need a new stylus for sure but is the arm and cartridge worth using or shall I just buy a whole new bit of kit?

It depends on what you paid for it. That is a modest tone arm, but should work well. I can't really fault it beyond saying I've seen better, but equally I've seen much much worse.

At least a new Stylus would be advisable. Though a New Cartridge would be good to if you have trouble finding a stylus for the existing one.

Set the Tracking Weight and the Anti-Skate, and you should have no problems.

Depending on how old the turntable is, it might need a Belt, assuming it is Belt Drive. I have a very old turntable and can still get belts for it, so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Otherwise, you are good to go.

Steve/bluewizard

That is an ADC tonearm, and a bit better than just okay! I can't tell which one, it could be the LMF 1, non detachable, LMF 2 detachable headshell, or the cheaper ALT 1 which is also detachable. The main difference being the LMF versions are carbon fibre, the ALT are aluminium. If you have one of the carbon fibre versions they go for up to about £200 on ebay. If it's the aluminium version, probably just over £100.

Personally, I'd stick with it.

ImageUploadedByAVForums1459937506.153084.jpg

Last edited:
In the current consumer climate, when slipping a silver disc into a retractable draw is considered an inconvenience, a decent turntable is no longer a mass market product - I think you're finding that out.

Unless you have good reason to believe the arm's faulty, I'd stick with it too and, if I were you (and I'm not having a pop), I wouldn't spend any money until I'd educated myself on the finer points of turntable ownership and all that it entails.

Ok guys
Thanks a lot for the advice.
I will keep it then, I just assumed being detectable it was Micky mouse.
Should have investigated more, just this turntable world goes more and more in depth the further you look.

It's prob the alt 1 will check tonight.
So I will just get a new stylus then.
Any idea which one?
Just tried looking up but the other forum threads aren't giving me clarity.

I will order the phono stage too, so the Cambridge audio one is more than good enough then or should I spend a bit more on something like the Gram amp 2 communicator?

Cheers

Ok guys
So I will just get a new stylus then.
Any idea which one?
Just tried looking up but the other forum threads aren't giving me clarity.

You have to determine what cartridge you have (brand and model) then get the Stylus appropriate to the brand and model.

If you can't find the Brand and Model of the existing cartridge, then give a nice large clear photo and maybe someone will recognize it.

As an alternative, you would need to determine how much you can spend on a replacement cartridge. Keeping in mind that the Stylus is about 80% of the cost of a new Cartridge. Frequently, assuming you can mount it, buying a new cartridge is the easiest choice.

Again, I don't know your budget, but here are some reasonable choices -

Ortofon 2M Red Moving Magnet Cartridge - Superfi

The Ortofon 2m Red currently is an extremely popular and well reviewed cartridge.

Grado Prestige Black Moving Magnet Cartridge - Superfi

Grado Prestige Green Moving Magnet Cartridge - Superfi

Goldring Elan Moving Magnet Cartridge - Superfi

While you can spend less, and you can most certainly spend more, this hits about the right range for most consumers.

I will order the phono stage too, so the Cambridge audio one is more than good enough then or should I spend a bit more on something like the Gram amp 2 communicator?

Cheers

We have to assume that the Cartridge is Moving Magnet (MM) as that is the most common type. So, if that is true, then you only need about a £50 to £100 Phono Pre-Amp.

PROJECT PHONO BOX MM MM Phono Pre Amp

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 551PBlack MM Phono Pre Amp

Though you probably won't need it, here is the next step up in MM/MC Phono Pre-Amps -

Project Phono Box Mk2 Turntable Pre-Amplifier - Superfi

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 651PBlack MM/MC Phono Pre Amp

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks again Steve.
I will get the azur 651 in case I end up buying a MC at a later date.

Best regards
Dominic

Thanks again Steve.
I will get the azur 651 in case I end up buying a MC at a later date.

Best regards
Dominic

That seem EXTREMELY unlikely (re:MC), but the Cambridge 651P is a very good phono stage, and should sever you well.

Definitely not a bad choice.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom