Turntable upgrade options from a Rega planar 3

michaelgordon

As my next potential upgrade im looking at my turntable, im basically set on my amp the Lyngdorf TDAI 1120, ive done my speakers, a pair of Dali Opticon 6 mk 2s. I mainly listen to viny thought.

I currently have a Rega Planar 3 (2016) with an upgraded acrylic platter, reference drive belt, & exact cartridge, im powering it with the Neo TT PSU.

I was considering the Planar 6 but im not sure what benefit i may get as i would already have most of the upgrades that the 6 seems to have already, apart from the plinth.

If i want to stay with Rega, would i need to consider an 8?

MaryWhitehouse

What do you feel you're missing?

daddy999

I recently tested a P6 against my P3 with neo psu. I would say there was more depth depth and tighter bass, but, it did depend on the quality of the vinyl in the first place, which is probably the same with all turntables. Personally, the difference was not enough for me to bother to upgrade to the P6, however, I would imagine that the improvements on a P8 would be even more noticeable.

I’ve decided to wait a couple of years and go all in on my grail Roksan Xerxes… I’m just going to tell the Mrs how much I will have spent!

Kapkirk

The P8 should be quite a decent upgrade if you wanted to stay with Rega, if you fancy something a bit different have a look at the Thorens TD 1500 or even the TD 1600.

michaelgordon

Cheers, dont know why i didnt get a notification or i missed it.

im not sure what im missing really, maybe not researching new kit but sound wise i couldnt tell you.

i also just like the upgrade feeling and new toy.

Ascotbilly

@michaelgordon - You’ve contracted Upgraditis 🤣🤣 I’m showing mild symptoms myself at the mo.

michaelgordon

@Ascotbilly ive had that since basically the start of lockdown in 2020. in that time ive had new front speakers, new AVR, TV, 3x hifi amps, this turnatable, rear speakers & 2 streamers.

Luckily i think im on the mend and cant see the need for anything new apart from the turntable as i rekon im on my lifetime kit now (he says hopeful)

Ascotbilly

@michaelgordon - Yeah I get where you’re coming from, get to a point where you’re happy with your kit and stop. It’s impractical for me to continually strive to improve. In recent times I was listening to music in thro a PC or snall Sonos so everything’s an improvement plus I have a small albeit dedicated listening room.

I’ve my head set on some new speakers (Dali Opticon 1 or 2 or Menuet) and turntable. The original RP3 choice is being muddied a little at the moment. How have you found yours ?

Last edited:

michaelgordon

I really like the P3 its playing until today on a nad 316 amp (previously Arcam SR250) and sounds much better through the NAD, that little amp punches well above its weight.

I also really like my Dalis now, again the Arcam amp was the weak link in my system, i didnt really like DIRAC but need room correction. They sounded lifeless the nad brought them back a bit and the 1120 made them sing. Really impressed.

What i did notice though the quality of the vinyl makes a big difference. I have somthat sounded roughly the same on both amps but the remastered black album was so much better on the 1120 compared to the Arcam & nad.

moujik

I forget to clean the stylus sometimes and when I do I often notice a difference. Using a stylus brush and not just swiping hair with a record brush makes a different. Best buy under £10 :)

Exact is great rhythmically but not too detailed imho, so if that's what you lack, try a different cartridge!

Btw, I measured vibration on my planar 3 and it was zero, so I don't need to upgrade it in my setup.

Ascotbilly

@michaelgordon @moujik
Guys, did either of you demo the RP2 against the RP3 ?
Given the rising cost of the RP3 since I first "selected" it, plus cartridge comments, eg) Elys mixed reviews, option is to buy a cartridge at
+£200, its looking like a costly turntable.

I suppose each of us hears differently but is it worth £400-£500 more than an RP2 ?

You both rate the Dali's so that's a positive !

michaelgordon

i never did any comparison, I got a used well technically open box from the classifieds here. I wanted a rega after not being too impressed with the project debut i had before not sure why but the rega sounded better.

I originally had the Elys cart and it was fine but again an opportunity came for the exact in a bundle with the acrylic platter and a couple other bits so did a bit of upgrading on that about a year later. Slight improvement but nothing night & day.

If you have an audioT close by ive found them very good for demoing side by side equipment and just leaving me alone to play and swap ect

Ascotbilly

Thanks @michaelgordon - I’ve a couple of local places to compare side to side but not in a hurry it’s likely a summertime buy.

My room is far from ideal and I’m thinking especially as my vinyl listening will be shared equally with streaming and CD longer term that the buying price for an RP3 and Exact may be better spent on an RP2 with the savings going to say slush fund for speakers, new CD player etc ?

moujik

@michaelgordon @moujik
Guys, did either of you demo the RP2 against the RP3 ?
Given the rising cost of the RP3 since I first "selected" it, plus cartridge comments, eg) Elys mixed reviews, option is to buy a cartridge at
+£200, its looking like a costly turntable.

I suppose each of us hears differently but is it worth £400-£500 more than an RP2 ?

You both rate the Dali's so that's a positive !
Yeah, I don't think RP2 gets enough of credit. It is clearly better than RP1.

I only compared RP2 with Carbon against RP3 with Elys, so it wasn't fair. I could afford RP3, so I didn't bother and I liked upgradabilty of RP3. I have not upgraded anything yet though :)

If I were strapped for cash I would try RP2 + AT-VM95ML/SH and hear if it's good enough

michaelgordon

Thanks @michaelgordon - I’ve a couple of local places to compare side to side but not in a hurry it’s likely a summertime buy.

My room is far from ideal and I’m thinking especially as my vinyl listening will be shared equally with streaming and CD longer term that the buying price for an RP3 and Exact may be better spent on an RP2 with the savings going to say slush fund for speakers, new CD player etc ?
If your room is bad, id highly recommend the Lyngdorf 1120 amp as it has roomperfect room correction and done wonders for me, the best upgrade ive ever done for sound quality

Ascotbilly

Yeah, I don't think RP2 gets enough of credit. It is clearly better than RP1.

I only compared RP2 with Carbon against RP3 with Elys, so it wasn't fair. I could afford RP3, so I didn't bother and I liked upgradabilty of RP3. I have not upgraded anything yet though :)

If I were strapped for cash I would try RP2 + AT-VM95ML/SH and hear if it's good enough
It was the upgrade options that attracted me to the RP3 also but not sure I'll bother now especially after seeing last week the Neo PSU has a redesign (now a square box). Searched for earlier version to match my Fono Mk3 and its increased in price.

@michaelgordon room isn't bad as such, just small - Home office there's only so much kit I can fit in.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom