Turntable stand suggestions

shango

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping someone can point me in the direction of a turntable and record stand that meets my criteria.

Currently I have a Line Phono as below but this is not very good, been using it for a year now but have a new turntable on the way which will not fit up top. also it's horribly fixed together and wobbly.

looking for something with similar layout with flat top, pre amp shelf and vinyl storage underneath and of course much more stable.

Much searching has so far yielded no results other than nasty stuff only suitable for suitcase players.

most high quality stuff seams to be full Hi-Fi racks.

Anyone aware of anything similar to this?
homepage_feat_img_1.jpg

Thanks
Shane

How much money, time, and skill can you dedicate to this project?

So, you want two shelves for record storage, on small shelf (or drawer) for misc. storage, and a flat top for the turntable? Correct? These are the key features to consider?

Are there any dimensional restrictions? Could you go for a completely different style of shelf, like a low wide TV stand? The more information you can give us, the more we can focus on your specific needs.

Steve/bluewizard

Whatever you put everything else on, do yourself a favour and get a wall shelf for your turntable.

Cheers Steve, can be no more than 63cm wide due to its location.
Turntable on the way has the following dimensions 53 (w) x 49 (d) x 55 (h) cms

needs to fit that size deck up top. a shelf for preamp of at least 8cm height

then record storage underneath ideally 2 but could be 1 shelf.

couple similar of examples I have found that are not viable.
TTS-V1CL-EX.jpg

US company and monstrously expensive.

large.jpg

Somebodies custom built unit on a CAD design site.

Possible option is a custom build up from Atacama here
Apollo Storm 6 Two Shelf Vinyl Storage Module | Atacama Audio UK

This would be pushing 1k and not keen on natural wood colour as wouldn't match my room and paying 40% of what I paid for the deck for something to sit it on (in the wrong colour) doesn't sit too well.

Skill and time dedicated to project? are you thinking custom self built?

I've considered it, whilst I could probably build something, getting a decent finish on it is beyond my skills and available tools.

I guess I could commission someone to build something to my spec.

Whatever you put everything else on, do yourself a favour and get a wall shelf for your turntable.

Have looked at them but with hollow plasterboard walls screwed to tin batons I'd not trust the weight with 3k of kit on it.

We often need to compromise on our sound systems, i.e. audio quality vs. convenience/domestic harmony.

I've yet to hear a quality turntable perform at its best when placed on a tall floor-standing unit - no matter what quality the furniture. Having experimented with a vast array of supports for my Linn LP12, I can confidently say that a simple upturned plastic drinks crate (low, rigid and lightweight) gave the best sound with this suspended sub-chassis turntable. That was true for both wooden boarded floor and solid concrete floored rooms. Not going to win any design awards though.

For optimum audio quality, either a low, lightweight, rigid table (containing only the turntable and no other gear) or wall mounted shelf works best with the LP12 and probably other similar suspended designs. Anything else will compromise sound quality. However, I've no experience of non-suspended turntables so can't comment on optimum support.

Have you looked at HiFi Racks. Will make bespoke equipment and it is so well made. Expensive though but worth it.

Hi Fi Racks Limited | Hi Fi Stands | AV Furniture | TV Stands

it's not very bespoke, can only choose from default width and depth and the the height of the shelves you want.
£1200 for the sizes id need and thats not proper record storage, im just choosing a height that is tall enough for records, they do have an add on option of an LP Pack for £85 but there is nothing to say what it actually is or looks like, just a check box to add 'LP Pack'.

After spending hours looking last time before settling on the Line Phono (which wasn't what I wanted, but closest I could find) and now looking for hours for a replacement I've come to the conclusion that what I'm after just doesn't exist.

In that case why not take your current shelving system, use it as a template and build a replica new one from proper wood with beefed up joints, maybe Baltic BB ply (which can be stained/coloured/varnished/painted) or even second hand 28mm solid wood work tops (may need to adjust sizes of joints). Should not be too difficult.

Edit - may be worth dropping thus seller a question on shelf spacing, looks close. Google says the shelves are adjustable in 2” intervals. Looks like a variation on the Sound Organisation Z560.

Facebook Marketplace: Hifi stand – Furniture – Hertford, Hertfordshire

Here is a similar one. Sound Organisation 4 Tier HiFi Stand | eBay

Here is a taller version thus is a similar height to the line phono one so may be better Glass HFi Stand Sound Organisation | in Holloway, London | Gumtree

And on eBay at £5 no bids Sound Organisation hifi stand | eBay

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Cheers Steve, can be no more than 63cm wide due to its location. ...

Skill and time dedicated to project? are you thinking custom self built?

You forgot MONEY, how much money are we talking about?

Getting something custom built is not going to be cheap. But... you do get exactly what you want.

Steve/bluewizard

I telephoned HiFi Racks and put to them what I wanted. It was actually a bridge that I needed to go over my centre speaker and they made it to my requirements.

Personally, I wouldn't put a turntable on anything other than a decent wall-mounted shelf.

For optimum audio quality, either a low, lightweight, rigid table (containing only the turntable and no other gear) or wall mounted shelf works best with the LP12 and probably other similar suspended designs. Anything else will compromise sound quality. However, I've no experience of non-suspended turntables so can't comment on optimum support.

Non-suspended really needs a wall shelf in my experience to perform at its best.

In that case why not take your current shelving system, use it as a template and build a replica new one from proper wood with beefed up joints, maybe Baltic BB ply (which can be stained/coloured/varnished/painted) or even second hand 28mm solid wood work tops (may need to adjust sizes of joints). Should not be too difficult.

Edit - may be worth dropping thus seller a question on shelf spacing, looks close. Google says the shelves are adjustable in 2” intervals. Looks like a variation on the Sound Organisation Z560.

Facebook Marketplace: Hifi stand – Furniture – Hertford, Hertfordshire

Here is a similar one. Sound Organisation 4 Tier HiFi Stand | eBay

Here is a taller version thus is a similar height to the line phono one so may be better Glass HFi Stand Sound Organisation | in Holloway, London | Gumtree

And on eBay at £5 no bids Sound Organisation hifi stand | eBay

All too far away and it's no longer made.

Personally, I wouldn't put a turntable on anything other than a decent wall-mounted shelf.

Non-suspended really needs a wall shelf in my experience to perform at its best.

Don't really see the benefits of a wall mount personally, I sit down when listening to music and as mentioned, my walls are not suitable. turntable is a suspended design anyway.

You forgot MONEY, how much money are we talking about?

Getting something custom built is not going to be cheap. But... you do get exactly what you want.

Steve/bluewizard

I guess 1k would be be my limit, however, at that price it needs to be exactly what I want. It's something I will be looking at and using every day.

The turntable is due this week so it looks like I will be keeping what I have currently for the time being, will have to put some kind of plinth on the top for now to raise the deck above the sides and back walls.

May contact some local chippys to see if they can build something more to my liking.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, wasn't expecting people to go on a search for me, was just hoping someone may happen to already know of something suitable.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There are a range of Turntable Wall Shelfs to consider. This does work well because it insulates the Turntable from foot-falls on the floor.

Amazon.co.uk: turntable wall shelf

There are also places on the Internet (UK) that will created bespoke cabinets.

Custom-made AV furniture - AV Soul

https://www.synthsandwood.co.uk/custom-work

And many others. Simply do a Google Search.

Steve/bluewizard

Cheers steve, I've contacted a local guy this afternoon and he's already got back to me. going to give me a rough idea of price once I give him some measurements, being local I can visit his workshop to discuss finer details in person.

Wall mount is out, plasterboard and my boiler is on the same wall on the other side and my washing machine is just below it on the opposite side too. Said wall is probably the least stable part of my house.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Cheers steve, I've contacted a local guy this afternoon and he's already got back to me. ....

That was going to be my next suggestion, that you contact a local carpenter or cabinet maker, or perhaps, someone at the local Trade/Technical School who is looking for a project and to earn some money. Though the Trade School route would be if you want to skimp on the price. You seem to have enough money, so a local Cabinet Maker would probably be a good choice.

Keep us informed. Knowledge is never wasted.

Steve/bluewizard

turntable is a suspended design anyway.

I guess 1k would be be my limit

I can understand why the wall mount option wouldn't be suitable.
It would be interesting to compare the sound quality with the turntable placed atop the new hifi rack with the sound quality of the turntable positioned on an upturned, floor-mounted plastic drinks crate (maybe topped with a square of 18mm thick chipboard if necessary).

Problem with tall hifi furniture, loaded with hifi gear with the turntable uppermost, is that any floor movement due to footfall will be amplified/exaggerated at the turntable position. Not only that but the resonant frequency of the whole loaded unit (and even rigid units will have a resonant frequency) will be relatively low due to the size and mass. If the furniture's resonant frequency falls close to that of the turntable's suspension frequency (I think the Linn LP12 is/was around 7Hz) then the suspended subchassis's isolation will be compromised. Would be best, if possible, to have a wide hifi unit, rather than a tall one, where the TT sits on a low-ish shelf with all the other gear on shelving to one or both sides. Best of luck with it.

So just for an update. The local carpenter quoted 1100 - 1200 for my design and size with a 10 - 12 week build time.

I then contacted Hifi racks by phone and discussed what I want with a very helpful women on the phone.
They could build what I wanted for just shy of 1200 delivered with a 4 week build time.

More than I wanted to spend really but went for it anyway.

Turned up yesterday.
IMG_20190618_135401.jpg

Very happy, exactly what I wanted, in the right colour with excellent build and finish.

Would definitely recommend hifi racks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom