Question Turntable, soundbar, TV - bluetooth?

av2010

Novice Member
Hi all, I need some advice in setting up a system for someone of an older generation. It needs to be as simple as possible. I'm slowly realising I'm a bit out of my depth so need some advice/ideas before I invest in anything.

The general idea is to have a turntable and a TV, that both share a common speaker. It needs to be as simple as possible to use, ideally without needing to manually select either source.
The speaker will sit under the TV, and be something like a soundbar (open to suggestions).
Additionally, it would be great if the turntable could have a wireless connection to the speaker as it will be in an adjacent room so I can avoid long cables. The TV will be switched off when the turntable is being used.

Turntable TV
\ /
\ /
\ /
Automatic selector switch?
|
Soundbar

Here's my current plan - please rip it apart!

This turntable, with a pre-amp similar to this:
Primary E – Pro-Ject Audio Systems
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-Link-12...e=UTF8&qid=1540458583&sr=8-7&keywords=pre-amp

A soundbar like this:
Q Acoustics MEDIA 4 (M4) (Black)

Current TV: Has a 3.5mm audio output. May be upgraded in the future, but will still have a 3.5mm output.

The 3.5mm from the TV goes into the 3.5mm input on the soundbar. So far so good. The bit I'm hesitant on is the turntable-soundbar wireless connection.

From the pre-amp at the turntable, I was thinking of putting a bluetooth transmitter like this:
https://cpc.farnell.com/av-link/bttr1/bluetooth-transmitter-receiver/dp/AV27359

If the turntable is powered on at the wall the transmitter will also be powered on at the same time (shared wall switch/extension lead etc). I hope that when this happens that the soundbar will automatically pickup this new bluetooth signal, pair it, and drop the 3.5mm input from the TV. In terms of source selection priority by the soundbar, this seems to work (from here: https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/downloads/qacoustics/Q-Media-4-Hi-fi-Soundbar-manual.pdf )

upload_2018-10-25_10-11-26.png

Reverting back to TV input is fine - just turn off the turntable/transmitter power:
The ANALOGUE INPUTS are automatically selected when no Bluetooth device is connected and playing, and no Optical Digital Input signal is present.

I'm happy to change soundbars or use a different system, this is just the first I've looked at in detail. Soundbars are new to me, so I have no idea if input selection to them is always like this or if it's not usual.

Alternatively I'll have to do it with cables. I'd have RCA leads from the pre-amp to a switch like this next to the soundbar:
4 Port RCA Switch Box - Audio With Manual Switching | Cables 4 ALL

Press a button to select TV or turntable. That should be simple enough for them to use! But the cable will be awkward to route, so I'm trying to bypass needing them. It's about 8m between turnable and soundbar/TV, around a corner. Is this ok for bluetooth? That transmitter says up to 10m - will it be ok?

Using the remote to select sources and re-pair bluetooth devices isn't an option, and neither is bending down to press pair buttons on the soundbar etc.

Am I along the right lines? Thank you!

Forgot to say - I'd considered something like this, but it's getting too expensive. Are there cheaper automatic switches I could use?

Sonance AL2 automatic line level source switcher - Sonance - Audio

dannnielll

Seriously I would suggest you go for a AVR or audio visuali Reciever... Which is basically an amplifer, a radio and all the switching you could want in a single box. You would also need a minimum of two speakers. If money is tight,there are second hand bargains to be had,and if money is very very tight, there are the home cinema systems including speakers available second hand..say 60 quid .. They are no longer readily available in the likes of Currys.
But a new AVR from Richersounds or equivalent,at the 250 mark and then maybe 100 to 150 on speakers, will give you an enviable sound, with remote control etc.
The big problem with turntables ,is that they are not suitable for automatic operation.. Eddie Rockets Jukeboxes excepted. .. one needs to be physically present to drop the needle every 30 minutes.
I can appreciate the difficulties in getting an older person to adapt to newer technology.. Difficulties with trying to get my 93 year old mother to use a kindle come to mind she also could neither see or relate to the buttonds on as remote. . ,But streaming music is much simpler than handling vinyl.

av2010

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply. The use of a turntable is no problem for her, she's familiar with them and has a stack of vinyl to get through, just no longer a working turntable.

You say we need two speakers. Why is that? Just the sound quality? Unfortunately again due to space/room layout I think we'll need to have two speakers next to each other, or one single speaker.

Regarding an AVR, I really want to go down a much simpler to use route, with no remote control etc. I used to have a guitar amp. I spliced the guitar lead and a 3.5mm lead from my walkman together to both inputs were played out throug the same guitar amp. That's the principal of what I want to do here, so that I can have either one or the other playing whenever I want. Press play on either of them and the sound comes out. My concern is accidentally pressing play on both at the same time and causing damage to either of the inputs, or the soundbar/whatever.

dannnielll

Thanks for your reply. The use of a turntable is no problem for her, she's familiar with them and has a stack of vinyl to get through, just no longer a working turntable.

You say we need two speakers. Why is that? Just the sound quality? Unfortunately again due to space/room layout I think we'll need to have two speakers next to each other, or one single speaker.

Regarding an AVR, I really want to go down a much simpler to use route, with no remote control etc. I used to have a guitar amp. I spliced the guitar lead and a 3.5mm lead from my walkman together to both inputs were played out throug the same guitar amp. That's the principal of what I want to do here, so that I can have either one or the other playing whenever I want. Press play on either of them and the sound comes out. My concern is accidentally pressing play on both at the same time and causing damage to either of the inputs, or the soundbar/whatever.

ok.
Two speakers... Stereo ,every record made from the 1950s is in stereo.,no difficulty in getting two small speakers adjacent to each other and pointing away. Not the best, but not bad either. Ok I get the turntable (TT) requirement. ,And the impossibility of teaching old dogs new tricks.. no insult intended.,.. do you currently have a TT?. .
I still think the AVR is the best option. ,Just hide .the remote. They have push buttons or a rotary knob so only one input is live at any time and have displays which indicate what's in use. Many of the more recent ones have Bluetooth recievers built in ,so picking up the signal from a TT next room is feasible. Again there are both Bluetooth Transmitters as add ons available,as well as TTs with RiAA equilisation and preamp and even Bluetooth transmitters . The AVRs are very good FM Radios as well. My mother could not live without the news programs which FM radio provides.

There is another option which could be explored, if space is a premium. All the major companies, Samsung, Sony, Yamaha, Sonus, have network active speakers. Typically these are a small box, containing an amplifer, speakers,mains power supply. And radio circuitry. They usually have an audio aux input as well. ..say one of those headphone jacks. If the Bluetooth connection to the TT is used and the aux is connected to the headphone output from the TV. , Both bases are covered.,but it does mean pushing a button on the box. That cannot be a automatic.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom