Turntable setup advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by HankScorpio1985, Apr 19, 2016.

1. HankScorpio1985

HankScorpio1985
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I inherited a lot of vinyl and now need to play them on something. I have never owned a turntable before so I'm looking for something for a beginner that still has decent sound. From my basic research I think I am looking at purchasing a turntable, amp and speaker setup. I guess there is a big increase in sound quality when having a separate amp rather than one where it's included on turntable?
    The turntable I had in mind was the Marantz TT5005 Turntables | Hifi Separates | Richer Sounds
    Amp: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO TOPAZ AM5 CAMBRIDGE AUDIO TOPAZ AM5Black Stereo Amplifier
    And speakers: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SX50 CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SX50Walnut Speakers Per Pair
    Is this a good setup for a beginner? Or can people suggest anything else that won't break the bank but has good sound quality, is easy to use and can be added to in the future.
    Another question I had was could I hook up and play my tv up through those amp/speakers? How about my Samsung tablet?

Thanks for any help,

Jonathan

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    Well, it seems the price is FREE, so yes for that price it probably is pretty good.

The turntable is just adequate. It will work and assuming properly adjusted will not harm your records, but it is a bit below the standard most of us would like. The turntable does have a Built-In Phone Equalization Pre-Amp, so that is a plus.

The amp is a very basic straight forward amp. The power is a modest 25w/ch which is fine for casual listening, but you won't be throwing any Rock Concerts or Raves with it. But fine.

The speakers are probably pretty nice and I would expect them to be very pleasant sounding for bookshelf speakers.

Overall ...yes... you do have a decent system within the context of what it is. A nice starter system that I'm sure you will enjoy.

Steve/bluewizard

3. HankScorpio1985

HankScorpio1985
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Steve/bluewizard. You seem to think that all the parts I have chosen for my setup are pretty basic. Would you be able to suggest any other bits that aren't a massive inrease in cost.

Thanks

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    I wasn't criticizing your system, but all the parts are very basic. That's just an observation. I'm sure the system is fine.

The question that needs to be asked is - How much more money can you scrape together.

One of the best deals on an amp right now is the Yamaha AS501 Integrated Amp 85w/ch with DAC for £199 from several sources -

Yamaha A-S501

If you don't need the DAC aspect, there are a couple other amps to consider -

Denon PMA520AE Amplifier - Superfi

Denon PMA720AE Amplifier - Superfi

The low cost Denon PMA-520 has about TWICE the power of the Cambridge amp and only about £20 more.

The Turntable is OK, but just OK. However, you are going to have to bring the price up over £200 to really get a good turntable, and that would just be the low-end of good.

Here are some good basic turntables -

Reloop RP2000M DJ Turntable - Superfi

Reloop RP2000USB Turntable - Superfi

Project Essential II Turntable - Superfi

Audio Technica ATLP120USBC USB Turntable - Superfi

The speakers are fine as bookshelf speakers go and should sound good with any amp. But bigger better speakers are going to sound bigger and better, but they are also going to cost more money.

The next larger Cambridge SX60 are not that much more and will probably have better Bass -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SX60Walnut Speakers Per Pair

I believe these Tannoy Mercury speakers are discontinued, so decent price on those -

TANNOY MERCURY V1Dk Walnut Speakers Per Pair

The Wharfedale Diamond 220 are small but good speakers -

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220Rosewood Speakers Per Pair

That takes the budget up to £200/pr. I'm not sure how much more you can go.

Though here are a few others worth considering -

Tannoy Mercury 7.1 Speakers - Superfi

Monitor Audio Bronze 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Tannoy Mercury 7.2 Speakers - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Speakers & SW150 Subwoofer 2.1 Speaker Package - Superfi

That should give you some ideas.

Steve/bluewizard

5. HankScorpio1985

HankScorpio1985
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. Will take a look at these.

6. L4dva

L4dva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I like the look of this one, and i think its slightly cheaper than the one you mentioned and very highly reviewed on What HIFI.

PROJECT ELEMENTALSilver Turntable

I was about to buy one too but my wife insisted we needed one with a cover so ended up with the Project Essential 2.

By the way I'm no expert on turntables, just going by the review i read on what hifi

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    Looks cool, but no Dust Cover and the Tone Arm is not up to the standard of the other turntables mentioned.

Though it is probably better than the Marantz. Don't let looks override practical considerations like a built-in Dust Cover.

Steve/bluewizard