Turntable related Questions -

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by BlueWizard, Feb 1, 2009.

1. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    I hang out mostly in the 'Speaker' forum, where I am considered generally helpful, but mostly a long-winded blow-hard.

Next, because of my meager budget, I'm limited mostly to fantasizing about new audio equipment, but it keeps me off the streets.

I currently have a old Pioneer PL-A35 turntable. Very well made for a modestly price turntable with a real walnut veneer base. This turntable has severed, and still serves me, well for MANY years.

One of the best features is that it is a single play automatic turntable. That is, you play one record at a time, individually. That is, it only holds one record; no stacking. But, the tone are has an auto-start, auto-return feature. I press a button and the tone arm moves over to the record. When the record ends, the tone arm move back to the rest post.

Close to this -

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-a35.shtml

Very handy especially at parties. I don't know how many parties I've been at where the tone arm needle spends a half an hour in the dead groove at the end of a record because the owner is occupied elsewhere.

I've also seen people come up to a turntable with a record playing in the dead groove, and lift the record off without first returning the tone arm. One of the drawbacks of too much alcohol, you tend to start missing small details.

Pioneer still makes a somewhat low end turntable like this, though I perceive it to be less than the one I have.

Pioneer PL-990 Turntable - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

So, my first question is, does anyone know of any other quality turntables that have this 'automatic' feature. I wouldn't even mind if it only has Auto-Return, or Auto-Stop at the end of a record, so the record wasn't perpetually turning in the dead groove or end groove?

My next questions is, does anyone have any links to formulas for do-it-yourself record cleaning fluid? Currently I use distilled water with a few drops of isopropyl alcohol. But I've heard of people using a few drops of some type of Kodak film cleaning solution or similar types of photographic 'wetting' solutions.

Anyone have any good ideas for home-made cleaning solution?

The off-the-shelf stuff seems difficult to find, and outragiously expensive for what is, for the most part, a few ounces of water.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Just do we are clear, when I said 'Record Cleaning Solution', I meant for cleaning dust off the record just before playing them, and not record washing solutions.

Though 'record washing solutions' might be nice to know too. But we should make a distinction between cleaning before playing and washing.

Steve/bluewizard

4. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    so not for use in a machine like an Okki Nokki?

but like you would get with a Thorens cleaning kit?

5. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
  6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    cunny678,

Excellent, a very interesting gizmo. It seems so simply, it's strange it took this long for someone to think of it.

Ideally, I would like a turntable that has auto-return. Starting an album in no big deal, but I would like to not only to stop but return to the tone arm rest at the end.

Still, these turntables were made at one point in audio history, there must be a reason why they didn't catch on. Or perhaps, it was just a cost cutting measure. I've very happy with my existing turntable, but it won't last forever.

Also, any thoughts on 'Before Play' record cleaning fluid?

Thanks for the replies.

7. Phlog

Phlog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Steve, try this:

How-to: record cleaning devices and fluids [English]

The suggested formulas are at the bottom of the page. Please note, I can't vouch for any of them. I would suggest trying first on a record that's not too important for you.

8. Phlog

Phlog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Steve,

Some Technics decks have become amazingly popular, and I believe have been available new until recently (perhaps still are?). Anyway, you can read more about them here:

Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable

Historically no deck with any automation has had any sort of reputation. With one exception, the laser reading deck that I think Finial (sic) made. Last I heard a Japanese company had taken over the design and refined it. I believe the new asking price was something like $15,000 ...

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    I was in another forum, and was doing some research to answer a question about replacement Stylus, and I stumbled across this -

Denon USA | Turntables

The Denon DP200USB and the Denon DP300F both seem to offer exactly what I'm looking for; single play auto start/auto-return in a reasonable quality turntable.

But then I checked the UK site -

DENON UK | Home Audio Components

Only one turntable listed??? What happened to the other three models?

Though I'm not real keen on it, the DP200USB seem OK, but I like the DP300F better, though not so keen on the price.

Steve/bluewizard

10. GYRODEC1

GYRODEC1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah,

My Dad used to have an old Garrard 125sb record deck which has the automatic function and also semi automatic.
    But as that deck conked out a couple of years ago, I bought a Michell Gyrodec/QC Pwr supply, but this deck is all hands on I'm affraid. But far far better sound quality than the Garrard that my Dad had.

'YOU JUST CAN'T BEAT THE SOUND OF A RECORD'

:D:thumbsup::cool:
    JAZZ

11. emthree

emthree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I wonder if anyone has a Genie 2 (Pro-ject); as I have a question. The part with the pullies and electric switch seems to just float freely in its casing. (So that, evertime one uses the switch to turn it on or off, it moves). Is there a way of anchoring it, or am I missing something in the setup?

TIA.

12. emthree

emthree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Anyone?

13. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    I have found the "discwasher" very convenient for cleaning an LP side before playing. Fluid refills are readily available throughout the world, cost GBP5 a bottle and last a fair while, so I see no point in a DIY solution. I've been using a discwasher for over 30 years.

14. emthree

emthree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Sorry to follow up on my own post, but I spoke to the Pro-ject people to-day and apparently that is how the design is. ALthough I knew that idea is to isolate the motor from the main body to remove vibration artifacts, I still felt that motor part is a little too free floating. But that is how they have designed it.

The player, BTW, is very very impressive. Many an old record of mine has got a new lease on life!