Wrap foil around which but of the cable? All or the ends?
The whole length from TT to RCA clinch. If you miss a bit that won't matter it's to see if shilding makes a difference.

Thanks, I did try the ground loop then under the rca plug before and nothing. Tried it again and still a buzz. Gave your idea of under the arm, loosened the screw and attached the wire to it and then the ground. No change either.
That screw will do nothing as it is just screwed into the wooden plinth.

You need it on one of the three screws that hold the tonearm to the plinth, you can try touching it on the screws that hold the cartridge onto the arm (however I think the triangle that the tonearm mounts on is plastic so may not work) or underneath, if you can get to it, the main tonearm post. Ideally it should be clean metal. You are looking for an electrical path through metal to the tone arm and cartridge. Also try the ground bolt on the amp or the phono preamp.

Hope this helps.

That screw will do nothing as it is just screwed into the wooden plinth.

You need it on one of the three screws that hold the tonearm to the plinth, you can try touching it on the screws that hold the cartridge onto the arm (however I think the triangle that the tonearm mounts on is plastic so may not work) or underneath, if you can get to it, the main tonearm post. Ideally it should be clean metal. You are looking for an electrical path through metal to the tone arm and cartridge. Also try the ground bolt on the amp or the phono preamp.

Hope this helps.
Gave the tone arm screws a go, no luck either. You have to ask yourself if you’re doing all these things and then having random cables attached to a nice looking and not that cheap turntable what’s going on!?

My Sonos amp doesn’t have a ground bolt, I’ve tried the pre amp bolt numerous times with the good advice you’ve given and still buzzy.

In your experience would a turntable with a ground bolt attached eliminate this problem if connected to my pre amp?

In your experience would a turntable with a ground bolt attached eliminate this problem if connected to my pre amp?
We don't know as we don't know what's causing the buzz.
Have you tried tin foil yet?

I bought a Dual turntable a few weeks ago with a buzzing sound present, searching the inter web regarding this there were many posts recommending removing the moulded original RCA plugs and soldering on new RCA plugs, I did this and the humming and buzzing I was getting has now gone, may be worth thinking about

We don't know as we don't know what's causing the buzz.
Have you tried tin foil yet?
Foil a no go. Still the same.

There's a Hifi store I have found not far from my home which I didn't know about. Will go there at lunch and tell them the issue, they specialize in Rega products so hopefully have some advice or next steps.

I have a Rega RP3 which is not fitted with its own earth lead, instead earthing through one of its channel grounds. This suffered badly with hum. As my amp has no phono input I use a separate phono pre amp. To cure my hum, I connected a phono earth lead (bought on ebay) to the phono preamp earthing post. The other end was then connected to the earth pin of a regular 3 pin plug (no other wires connected). This was then plugged in to an extension lead which also had the amp and phono amp plugged in and bingo - silence!

I believe another forum member has done the same with similar results and it is perfectly safe as long as only the earth lead is connected to the earth pin in the plug.

Quoting myself as a reply I gave to someone else regarding Rega buzz. I see that you're using a separate phono pre-amp so our situations are similar.

Quoting myself as a reply I gave to someone else regarding Rega buzz. I see that you're using a separate phono pre-amp so our situations are similar.
Hey, to be fair I read that somwhere before and skimmed over it. Just set up the cable as you said and into the same lead as the amp and turntable and bingo. No buzz (slight hum but only if you listen to the left speaker up close)

Is it worth getting a proper earthing lead with the metal spanner ends or ok for me to use this wire I have cut myself?

Perfect! Thanks everyone for helping. But I think i might splash out on a better pre amp since mine is a Amazon style basic.

Yay!

Attachments

• 9026BF1B-339C-4523-9C4D-22C3758C1DB8.jpeg
    9026BF1B-339C-4523-9C4D-22C3758C1DB8.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 55
Is it worth getting a proper earthing lead with the metal spanner ends or ok for me to use this wire I have cut myself?

Great, glad it worked! Purely down to aesthetics whether you want to bother with a proper lead or not, I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I did. One thing I did do was to wire to the inside of a plug, removing the fuse so there was no chance of an accidental touching of the wire on a live pin. I see you used a charger so this won't be an option.

Great, glad it worked! Purely down to aesthetics whether you want to bother with a proper lead or not, I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I did. One thing I did do was to wire to the inside of a plug, removing the fuse so there was no chance of an accidental touching of the wire on a live pin. I see you used a charger so this won't be an option.
Nice thanks :) next time in a shop I might get one, for now its hidden and fine.

Yeah thought I would use a spare apple charger. Perfect!

Hi all, first post :)

I am currently thinking of upgrading my turntable. The TT is a few years old, but looking to upgrade to compliment my new set up, as I have just bought a Sonos amp & Dali Oberon Speakers.

What this new set up has done is made the buzzing very apparent from my new speakers. I used to get that buzz from my previous Edifier bookshelf speakers connected to my pre amp but was minimal. (When connecting my phone to the amp for music there is no issue).

I have tried all the forums and also asked my tech mate to send over thoughts. Due to no easy grounding options on the turntable I have run out of ideas and not savvy enough to really pick apart electronics.

Current set up;
  • Rega Planar 1 turntable
  • Behringer PP400 Ultra Compact Phono Preamp
  • Sonos Amp
  • Oberon Dali 1 Speakers

Probably two parts to this post;
1. What turntable would you recommend to compliment the above specs which would also eliminate/none background noise (money £300-£800)
2. Any advice on my set up to get the best out of it

Collected vinyl for 10 years now and just moved from a flat to a house so excited to expand the sound and would need expert advice which I'm lacking in!

Thanks
Marc

Hi, the only audible improvement I have heard immediately was after buying 3 sorbothane blocks for my old rega , turning up the volume...and..wow..sorbothane feet worked ..for about $10 each back in the day. Be sure they will have been scientifically upgraded to something more magic nowadays. Good luck with your selection.

Hi, the only audible improvement I have heard immediately was after buying 3 sorbothane blocks for my old rega , turning up the volume...and..wow..sorbothane feet worked ..for about $10 each back in the day. Be sure they will have been scientifically upgraded to something more magic nowadays. Good luck with your selection.
Sorbothane works great, I used the remaining 3 feet off an old knackered iso platform under my Debut Pro.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom