marc1986

Standard Member
Hi all, first post :)

I am currently thinking of upgrading my turntable. The TT is a few years old, but looking to upgrade to compliment my new set up, as I have just bought a Sonos amp & Dali Oberon Speakers.

What this new set up has done is made the buzzing very apparent from my new speakers. I used to get that buzz from my previous Edifier bookshelf speakers connected to my pre amp but was minimal. (When connecting my phone to the amp for music there is no issue).

I have tried all the forums and also asked my tech mate to send over thoughts. Due to no easy grounding options on the turntable I have run out of ideas and not savvy enough to really pick apart electronics.

Current set up;
  • Rega Planar 1 turntable
  • Behringer PP400 Ultra Compact Phono Preamp
  • Sonos Amp
  • Oberon Dali 1 Speakers

Probably two parts to this post;
1. What turntable would you recommend to compliment the above specs which would also eliminate/none background noise (money £300-£800)
2. Any advice on my set up to get the best out of it

Collected vinyl for 10 years now and just moved from a flat to a house so excited to expand the sound and would need expert advice which I'm lacking in!

Thanks
Marc

Last edited:

Ascotbilly

Marc - your turntables fine. At this stage I would consider an Amp and/or speaker upgrade. The Rega Io amp would be a good starting point.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I also think an upgrade to the phono preamp is probably worth a look at. Something like the Project Phono Box Ultra, Tisbury Phono or IFI Zen would be worth looking at.

The other thing that can give the most bang for buck is changing the cartridge. If you are running the original Rega Carbon then have a look at the AT VM95ML cartridge as a significant jump in quality.

MaryWhitehouse

Have you checked where the turntable cables go? They can be VERY sensitive to interference from other signals and mains cables.

Ascotbilly

@Ugg10 - Agreed lowest cost options would be cartridge then phone stage.
I didn’t reference the phono stage as I’m not clued up on the Sonos Amp as a “Hifi” standard and presumed a new amp would have a more than adequate phono stage

MaryWhitehouse

Flobs

Hasn't the Planar 1 got a connection for a ground loop? o_O

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
A quick google suggests that the Planar 1 arm is internally grounded. if you do a search there are lost of possible solutions that may help including finding a ground on the underside of the arm.

MaryWhitehouse

Rega Io and Brio both in the OP’s budget with a more than adequate phono stage

But the OP isn't looking for a new amp. He's just bought one.

Ascotbilly

But the OP isn't looking for a new amp. He's just bought one.
🤦🏻🤦🏻 I should read these threads in more detail !!

Having done so I’m not sure of the “buzzing” or how it would be removed by changing TT’s Possibly a low cost option would be to check connections, cables for flaws etc ?

Flobs

🤦🏻🤦🏻 I should read these threads in more detail !!

Having done so I’m not sure of the “buzzing” or how it would be removed by changing TT’s Possibly a low cost option would be to check connections, cables for flaws etc ?
Or just move the TT so it's nowhere near a speaker or whatever. A ground loop would be the next stage if the 1st stage doesn't help. Surely thats just a case of finding a screw tha passes through some metal casing and clamping one end of a wire under that screw and the other end to the phono preamp ground connection.
Still I find it nuts that the Planar 1 hasn't a ground connection, which does suggest that the real problem is the placement of material.

MaryWhitehouse

Still I find it nuts that the Planar 1 hasn't a ground connection, which does suggest that the real problem is the placement of material.

Rega's usually ground to the preamp using the left channel shield.

Flobs

MaryWhitehouse

So does that mean the preamp needs to do that as well?

Usually no. Interference from other cables is MUCH more likely.

marc1986

Standard Member
Hey, thanks for all the replies and info. Like I said I'm not very tech minded or good at getting to the very bottom of things, let alone have the patience!

Sorry I should of highlighted that I have just bought the sonos amp and the Dali speakers (mainly to play my vinyl in other rooms in the house & to connect our Bluetooth) There is no issue of sound when playing my devices through the amp on Bluetooth.

I have tried plugging in the TT / pre amp to different sockets, moving the TT away from the speakers and unplugging the broadband router / other appliances near the set up.

As you all say it's the design that means it doesn't have the ground on the turntable for me to easily work with. There is a ground connection on the preamp but not on the Sonos amp, the amp doesn't have any screws holding it together so I couldn't even try a ground wire between the two that way.

I have thought about an upgrade on the preamp but not sure if it would solve it 100%.

Flobs

Usually no. Interference from other cables is MUCH more likely.
Ok, I didn't think Rega would be as incompetent as that, though when it comes to TT's I do like having my ground wire to and from. Having something extra that makes connections is just so reassuring, at least for me (so I won't be looking at rega TT's when if the time comes. 🤣

Flobs

There is a ground connection on the preamp but not on the Sonos amp, the amp doesn't have any screws holding it together so I couldn't even try a ground wire between the two that way.
You don't need to ground to the amp just TT to phono preamp. (phono preamp to amp is RCA). At least that's my understanding.
what are you using to connect the TT to pre amp?

marc1986

Standard Member
You don't need to ground to the amp just TT to phono preamp. (phono preamp to amp is RCA). At least that's my understanding.
what are you using to connect the TT to pre amp?
Just the phono output cable that connects direct from the TT, into my preamp.

The output cable doesn't even disconnect from the source, it's incorporated into the build.

Last edited:

Flobs

Just the phono output cable that connects direct from the TT, into my preamp.
It's fixed (i.e no bornes for RCA clinch on the TT)?
If so wrap some tinfoil round the 2 wires and see if that helps.
If that does help and you can use separate cables buy some cables that have shielding (I went whole hog and assured they were 50 Ohms as well).

marc1986

Standard Member
It's fixed (i.e no bornes for RCA clinch on the TT)?
If so wrap some tinfoil round the 2 wires and see if that helps.
If that does help and you can use separate cables buy some cables that have shielding (I went whole hog and assured they were 50 Ohms as well).

Annoyingly it's connected like the picture below, fully integrated with no option for me to use updated RCA cables.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 33

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
This may be useful (no guarantees or liability claimed) but do it at your own risk.

Basically connect a flying wire from the left channel ground (outer part of RCA plug) to the phono preamp ground screw or amp ground screw and see if ti helps.

Also you can try probing around the turntable with the flying cable attached to the preamp ground screw to see if you can reduced the hum by finding a route to earth - tonearm screws or the main tonearm fixing column would be my first choice either on top of from underneath.

Hope this helps but keep the amp volume down whilst doing it and as said it is at your risk.

note - I'd be tempted to wrap the flying cable around the outside of the RCA plug rather than in between the outer shield this should reduce the possibility of connecting live to earth.

if this works you could make up a connecting cable (RCA female - RCA male) with the flying lead inside the plug.

Flobs

Annoyingly it's connected like the picture below, fully integrated with no option for me to use updated RCA cables.
Those look like 'normal' RCA cables get some alu foil wrapped around, and yes that is annoying and Rega should be shot for it imo.

Last edited:

marc1986

Standard Member
This may be useful (no guarantees or liability claimed) but do it at your own risk.

Basically connect a flying wire from the left channel ground (outer part of RCA plug) to the phono preamp ground screw or amp ground screw and see if ti helps.

Also you can try probing around the turntable with the flying cable attached to the preamp ground screw to see if you can reduced the hum by finding a route to earth - tonearm screws or the main tonearm fixing column would be my first choice either on top of from underneath.

Hope this helps but keep the amp volume down whilst doing it and as said it is at your risk.

note - I'd be tempted to wrap the flying cable around the outside of the RCA plug rather than in between the outer shield this should reduce the possibility of connecting live to earth.

if this works you could make up a connecting cable (RCA female - RCA male) with the flying lead inside the plug.

Thanks, I did try the ground loop then under the rca plug before and nothing. Tried it again and still a buzz. Gave your idea of under the arm, loosened the screw and attached the wire to it and then the ground. No change either.

Attachments

• AE49905B-535E-40C1-B697-CE337FC46435.jpeg
    AE49905B-535E-40C1-B697-CE337FC46435.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 28

marc1986

Standard Member
Those look like 'nbormal' RCA cables get some alu foil wrapped around, and yes that is annoying and Rega should be shot for it imo.
Haha it’s just plain annoying. Love the look of the rega and at the price at the time I was more than happy. Since the upgrade of tech it’s made the noise really annoying.

Wrap foil around which but of the cable? All or the ends?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Prime Day 2022: 12-13 July
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds