Turntable-Receiver issue - no volume output

cskennedy

Standard Member
Hello,

First of all, I'm a total newbie and technological dummy. I've already searched the forum, but haven't found a solution. I'm hoping that someone can help before I need to take this to a repair man.

So I have an old turntable (make and model escapes me right now, but it's a mid-'80's direct drive model) and an Onkyo 705 receiver... For a year I had the turntable connected to the phono input on the receiver and all was well. Then I moved my equipment and now there is no volume through the phono input at all. I've tried a few things:

1) record player thru "phono" input = no volume output, but you can hear the music very faintly with your ear up close to the turntable.

2) record player thru the "aux" input (or "tape" or "cd", whatever...) = low volume output. If you turn the volume way (almost all the way) up on the receiver, you can hear the records, but obviously this isn't ideal (or very good for the equipment, I've been told).

3) record player thru a phono pre-amp and then into the "aux" input (or "tape" or "cd", whatever...) = no volume output, but you can hear the music very faintly with your ear up close to the turntable.

I've tried this with two separate turntables with identical results. Both turntables work on other systems.

I'm really hoping that there is a setting or something that my newbie brain has got mixed up (yes I've read the manual, not much help). It doesn't seem logical that this all happened out of the blue. I only moved my equipment around the house, I couldn't have damaged it.

Can someone enlighten my dumb ass?

I got some great new vinyl for Christmas that I'm dying to listen too....

I appreciate the help, thanks!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom