1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turntable phono stage advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ollie501, Jul 29, 2003.

1. ollie501

ollie501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,
    I have recently bought a Project Debut SB, which has a built in speed box and phono stage.
    I went for this one mainly because of the speedbox, as I don't really like the idea of changing the belt position manually every time I want to play a single.
    However, I am wondering if there is any benefit, or if it is even possible, in bypassing the phono stage and using the one on my amp.
    At the moment it is running through one of the normal ports on the back of the amp, and the dedicated phono sockets are empty.
    Obviously if I were to put it through the phonos, it would free up a normal socket for something else.

Is it actually possible to bypass it, without losing the speed control, and would it actually be worth it? Which is likely to give the better sound quality; an external phono stage or the one on the amp. What I don't want to do is sacrifice sound quality for the sake of freeing up a couple of inputs, but if it is going to be the same or better, then it would be worth doing if it's possible.

Any advice very gratefully received.
    Thanks

Ollie

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Obviously if I were to put it through the phonos, it would free up a normal socket for something else.

That is the main problem with these Debuts. You can only use a normal input as there is no way to turn the phono stage off. It uses a scoket and because the phono one is not used it wastes a socket.