Turntable / Phono Stage Advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by AdamPV, Jan 13, 2018.

1. AdamPV

AdamPV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi folks,

So before Christmas I completely replaced my hifi. I opted for:

Yamaha RX-V683
    Monitor Audio Silver 200, 50’s for rears, and the matching silver Centre.
    Kept the Chord Carnival Bi-wire
    Pro-Ject Primary turntable

So I listen to mostly FLAC now, but I’m loving the vinyl revival. There is however a whopping difference between the volume for all other inputs and the vinyl even with the trim turned up to +6 on the amp.

The way I judge this is hardly scientific, but it works for the situation.

With any other input -20 on the amp and your seriously rocking out. It’s my self imposted ‘this is loud enough without being a pollock’ level.

With the vinyl it’s more like -10. And at point if you were to switch over to another input the chances of doing damage are likely (it’s not only myself that uses it).

So I picked up Pro-jects own MM phono box to test, and the volume is now much closer to the other inputs, but again with the trim on that input turned up.

So the question is; does this mean the Phono stage on the amp is just weak, or does it point to a problem with the turntable?

For the record (a-thank-you) I’m now very happy with the Phono box plugged in, I just want to feel confident I’m not nursing a technical problem which once solved would mean I could return the Phono box.

As a quick preemptive:

Yes the amp has a phono stage.
    Yes the turntable was plugged into the phono input.
    Yes the cartridge is MM.

Any thoughts?

2. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +654
    About all you can do without getting another analog gain stage is drop the trim level on all the other inputs (press options on the AVR remote - I think it is labelled input trim), but I think that only allows for +/- 6dB.

3. nikydr

nikydr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pro-Ject Primary turntable is a very entry-level table. If you really want a minimum audiophile grade turntable I reccomand the new Rega Planar 3. Rega Planar 3 Review | Trusted Reviews . And the phono stage included in Yamaha receiver is not the best. You must buy a separate good quality phono stage and connect it at any other analog entry of Yamaha. The best is to go to a store with audio room and hear yourself all the devices until you'll be satisfied. Good luck!

4. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +760
    No problem with turntable... How could it be, its job is just to rotate.
    No problem with the cartridge or phono stage. They are not " weak". The only problem is that the voltage gain on these is not sufficient. Since you have decided to use an auxiliary voltage amplifier, before the main amp, problem sorts.