1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turntable>phono box>amp & Spare speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by phresh, May 10, 2004.

1. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im just lookin for some advice on 2 things, firstly what is the best (or at least most popular) way to connect turntables to phono boxes, and then to an amp.

I recently bought a Pro-ject 2 and a Pro-ject Phono Box and am curious as to what would be the best way to connect them all up, i.e. do I use the same 2 cables, or do I use a shorter more expensive cable for the turntable to phono box run which has the lower more sensitive signal?

The second question is what is the best thing to do with the speaker cable when your A/V equipment is not equidistance from each of the main speakers. This is a big problem for me because one speaker is around a metre away from my amp, while the other is around 2 and a half metres. Obviously I'm using the same length cable, but this leaves 1 and a half meteres of cable just lying around. I assume i'm not the only person with this problem and was wondering what other people do to remedy this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Phil

2. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi phil.i currently use one of these pro-ject phono amps for my setup,i presume that the turntable doesnt come with a fixed cable?mine does.anyway i would suggest that if this is the case use a good quality short cable from t/table to phono amp then an equally good cable from there to amp.cable talk do half metre lenghts as well as 1 to 2 metre lenghts of the same type of cable.maybe you could do that?at least it would be the same type of cable.i use the cables that are with the t/table(there fixed)into the phono amp then a 2 metre cable of good quality to the amp and have found it to be fine(although it could be better with a t/table upgrade)as for the speaker cable.i would imagine you wont hear any difference if you cut them to their needed length.i.e 1 at 1 metre and 1 at 2 or 3.hope this helps.cheers
    ian

3. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for the advice.

The turntable hasn't got fixed cables (its got sockets on the back) and this was one of the reasons for choosing the Pro-ject 2 over the Pro-ject Xpression. I think i'lll go for a short half metre run from tt to phono box and a metre from phono box to amp.

As for the speaker cable I was sure you had to have same lengths. Might leave that one for the moment!

4. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    in an ideal world,yes.but if you do a search on these very forums you will probably find most would agree.correct me if i,m wrong.if i remember rightly,if you had 1 at 1 metre and the other at say 10 then you might hear a difference.i had mine at the same length for a long time then recently cut one down by about 1 metreand could not tell any difference.but if you can hide it just do that.anyway best of luck and happy vinyl spinning.(and they said vinyl was dead)have fun.
    cheers
    ian