Hi all,

A while ago I upgraded my home AV system to the following:

Denon AVR-X3300W
Fronts: Wharfedale Diamond 230's
Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220's
Center: Wharfedale Diamond 220C
Zone2: Wharfedale Diamond 220's.
Sub: BK Electronics P12-300SB FF

I myself am a huge music fan with another room dedicated to listening to music using high end headphones and some bookshelf monitors from FLAC files on a computer. (Rips of mine and dads CD collection, CD's live back at his place).

I am feeling like raiding his Vinyl collection so the Mrs is buying me an Audio Technica LP5 turntable for my birthday soon. Its got great reviews and has a built in Phono stage.

I want to connect it to my AVR-X and listen to Vinyl just in Stereo, I am 99% sure I can just connect it to one of my free RCA inputs and set my output to stereo. Well when I say stereo, I mean the two fronts and the sub like i do when streaming music to the receiver already.

Any problems here?

Thanks
Tom

dante01

Distinguished Member
The AVRX3300 has no integral phono stage so you'd need to use an intermediary phono pre amp between the turntable and the receiver if the turntable lacks such an amplifier. THe LP5 does indeed include a phono stage so you should be okay when it cmes to connecting it to any of the conventional RCA stereo inputs on the receiver. You will probably get better performance from the turntable if using an external phono stage rather than the inbuilt one though. This all depends upon whether you want to buy an external phono stage and how much you want to spend on one?

Switching to an external phono stage, each aspect is evidently improved, the sound opening up even more and allowing for even more detail to be dug out of those grooves.

Yet it is the AT-LP5’s overall character we enjoy so much, something that is unchanging whether using its built-in phono stage or running through a more expensive one, so while the upgrade is an improvement, it is far from a necessity to enjoy such a talented player.
Audio Technica AT-LP5 review

Last edited:
The AVRX3300 has no integral phono stage so you'd need to use an intermediary phono pre amp between the turntable and the receiver if the turntable lacks such an amplifier. THe LP5 does indeed include a phono stage so you should be okay when it cmes to connecting it to any of the conventional RCA stereo inputs on the receiver. You will probably get better performance from the turntable if using an external phono stage rather than the inbuilt one though. This all depends upon whether you want to buy an external phono stage and how much you want to spend on one?

Audio Technica AT-LP5 review
Thanks, I will give the internal phono stage a whirl first and see what I think. Whilst I could buy a seperate phono stage I've then got the argument that the amp im using is a Denon AVR rather than a high end Hi-Fi Stereo amp so would the addition of a seperate quality phono pre amp actually benefit me right now.

chuffster2005

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but I've bought a Sony PS-HX500 turntable and have connected it to my 3300, but can't get any sound.Any ideas?

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but I've bought a Sony PS-HX500 turntable and have connected it to my 3300, but can't get any sound.Any ideas?
Does your Sony turntable have a built in Phono pre amp?

And if it does or you are using an external one, you need to set your input selection to the analogue RCA.

jmp1975

Assuming you've plugged it into one of the analogue inputs on the Denon (I only say as, although I have an x2200, I stupidly connected to zone 2 by mistake initially) ensure that the switch on the turntable is set to line. Select whichever input you have used on the receiver.

Go into setup, input settings and choose input assign. Scroll down to the appropriate AUX input and then move across to the analogue column. Select whichever of the inputs of the receiver you have used 1/2/3/4/5.

Hopefully then it should give you sound!

dantecat

Hi all... related question
I have my turntable going through a Pyle preamp, and that goes into the 3300w rca audio input for CBL/Sat (or any of the others that are there.. DVD-Blue ray - Game -CD). I get sound but it is muffled, distorted. Any ideas? Is there somewhere else it should be plugged into?