Turntable Keeps Stopping

ziggythecowboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 year old Sherwood PS 9700. It was fine up to about a week ago then suddenly the turntable cuts out midsong, after a random amount of time (between 5 to 10 minutes). Then If i try to restart by moving the arm back across, nothing happens.

Weird thing is if I leave it for about 20 minutes it starts up fine, But will continue to stop again as above.

What could be causing this? Could it be the belt? is it just old and had it? Is it to do with the motor? It doesn't feel particularly hot.

It could be the belt, or it could be lubrication. I've had the motor on my turntable freeze after a long period of disuse (shaky floors).

A couple of drop of Isopropyl alcochol on the bearing and motor shaft should loosen it up. Then a few drops of sewing machine, light or 3-in-1 oil for lubrication. Also a drop of alcohol on the spindle shaft followed by a few drop of oil.

Also, inspect the belt, they are not usually tight, but neither should the be sloppy loose. Also, if the belt seems dry or cracked, it is time to replace it. I'm not sure about your turntable, but mine is a consumer grade purchased back in 1978 and belts are still available for it.

If you can get at the motor shaft, and turn it by hand, it should turn freely. If you feel any drag, then it certainly needs some alcohol to loosen it up, and some light oil to lubricate it. The same with the spindle shaft, it should turn freely. Any resistance means it needs cleaning and lubrication.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks Blue Wizard,

I must give that a go. Though the turn table seems to turn freely. I might try the alcohol idea to loosen it up (a few drops for me too)

possibly its the belt, but it looks ok.

The alcohol acts as a solvent to loosen dried up oil and dust, but you still need to lubricate the various bearings. I use a common light oil brand "3-in-1". Though other similar light oils are available. Many turntables at the bottom of the spindle housing have a single ball bearing that need a touch of light grease. Though this is something of an operation to mess with. Best to just lubricate the shaft of the spindle.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom